Monday, August 9, 2021

We’re Still Here

December 21 came and the only major, discernible change we experienced was that the seasons changed from fall to winter!

No doomsday.

Then again, some folks say we’re not safe until the 22nd. Or, wait, maybe it’s the 23rd.

How does this stuff get started?

Remember Y2K? That was going to bring a catastrophic end to technology as we knew it. None of the late 90s gadgets were equipped to deal with a change from ‘19’ to ’20.’ Folks went in hiding on that New Year’s Eve. Survivalists stockpiled inventory to ride out the turbulence.

Remember what happened? About the same thing that happened this morning. Nada.

Really, the one anniversary that caught my attention this week is the fact that Sunday marks 40 years since the NFL playoff game between the Steelers and Raiders brought us the play known ever-after as ‘The Immaculate Reception

Before I go into too much depth, just know that I was a huge Oakland Raiders fan as a child and as a teen. So, naturally, I think it was a bogus catch! (I can hear my Steeler fan friends mocking me even as we speak).

Anyway, it is hard to believe that was 40 years ago. And as this version of the Steelers plays a must-win game Sunday to try to secure a playoff slot, they will pay homage to that great play in franchise – and NFL – history.

So, if we make it to the 40th anniversary celebration, we know we’ve survived the end of the Mayan Calendar. Or not.

Just to hedge their bets, experts on the topic are telling us there is some wiggle room. Maybe the end of the calendar is next week. Or the week after that. Who really knows?

All I know is I woke up this morning. I turned the lights on. I started my car. I drove to work.

Just like I did yesterday.

JG

(Source: cbsnews.com)

Originally posted 12/21/2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...