There is something in our DNA, I think. Maybe it’s a little inner alarm clock, or something, that tells us exactly what time of year it is right now.
(Or maybe it’s the barrage of TV advertising.)
In any case, no matter the reason, we all know what time of year it is. It’s time for a break.
Like elementary school kids watching the last seconds tick off the clock at the end of the last school day – 3, 2, 1 – we’re all ready for winter break. For most, it starts tonight or tomorrow.
The last final exam has been taken; the final day of work for 2012 is tomorrow. It’s now time to pray and rest and reflect.
I have always been fortunate to have the week off between Christmas and New Year’s. The last time I worked that week, I was 25 years old and in the throes of my newspaper days. The media never stops.
But since I crossed over into the happy world of P.R., I’ve been able to have this time off. As a dad and a husband, I treasure this week more than just about any other benefit I can imagine.
This year, I feel I need the time more than ever. We took an earlier-than-usual vacation and I really haven’t had any downtime since then – busy on the job, busy at home. I think I just need a week to do something totally unrelated – to read a book; to watch a movie; to work around the house; to do nothing.
A funny thing happens around this time of year. Everything seems to shut down. Business slows. Everyone is ready for the break.
Even folks who will work next week tell me they look forward to how slow and quiet it is that week. And with all the bad news we’ve had in our country this year, don’t we need a break? It’s been a tough year.
We’ve been through a contentious election season and the country is coming to grips with the fact that the country is so equally divided. This plays out, even as we speak, with the so-called ‘fiscal clift’ discussions on Capitol Hill. Meanwhile, we deal with the horrific tragedy from CT last week.
The economy is still in peril. We’re still at war. We’ve had many natural disasters.
Yes, I think we need a break.
Of course, the reason for this particular break is the Christmas holiday. As for our family, we’ll celebrate with Lisa’s family on Monday and my family on Tuesday. We’ll attend church services at FPC.
We’ll spend special time together for just the four of us.
Whatever you do this weekend and next week, I hope it is a good one for you. I hope you get to do something fun.I hope you have the chance to see friends and family. I hope you have the opportunity to something unique and different.
And, I hope you get some downtime.
It’s break-time. Well-deserved.
JG
Originally posted 12/20/2012
No comments:
Post a Comment