Monday, August 9, 2021

Sense of Community

Last night, Lisa and I attended a parent meeting for three upcoming FHS theatre performances.

In March, members from the FHS drama program will be competing at the THSSDL district competition. The public performances which will take place at the school Feb. 15-17 will serve as a great opportunity for the students to perform the pieces before an audience and fine tune the productions before they go on to districts.

Two of the pieces – interps -  are student-directed (by FHS seniors) and FHS drama teacher Lea McMahan is directing the one act play.

Last night’s information meeting was really just an opportunity for parents to learn about upcoming dates and volunteer needs. Ms. Mac led a very efficient meeting last night and mindful of parents’ and students’ busy schedules, she concluded the meeting after about 15-20 minutes so we could all go home.

A funny thing happened at that point. No one went home.

I’m guessing between students and parents, there were about 20 people present for the meeting. The group of 20 divided into three groups. There was a student group, a parent group and a mixed group (I was in that group). We all just stood around talking for at least a half hour after the formal meeting ended.

There is a real sense of community in this FHS theatre program. And for those of us who have seniors in the program, we’ve all been together for four years. We’ve worked side by side selling tickets and concessions. We’ve helped build sets and run errands to pick up props and set pieces.

With such a strong core group of volunteers and students we support, it’s not surprising that this camaraderie has emerged. I saw similar teamwork when I was so involved in the baseball league. And earlier, when I volunteered for the Children’s Hospital fundraiser, Fantasy of Trees, I noticed it happened in that group as well.

image

image

When you work side by side with other volunteers to achieve a common goal, a close bond develops.

Last night, we didn’t stick around because we felt we had an obligation. We enjoyed visiting with everyone because we’re all friends, part of a small community (within a larger community).

It felt good.

The students have a busy spring ahead of them. In the theatre world, alone, they will perform these competition pieces in February. Then, in early March, many of the same performers will be on the main stage with the spring musical, “Pirates of Penzance.” This speaks nothing of the choral events that many of these same students will be involved with.

It’s a busy group of students – active and engaged – but they wouldn’t have it any other way.

And for us parents, we’re happy to be along for the ride to watch their achievements and to support their efforts.

JG

Originally posted 1/29/2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...