About this time a year ago, I told you about a dream I had relating to my days in the baseball league (in the dream a year ago, we were facing off with our biggest rival team in the County Tournament).
Most of my dreams – if I remember them at all – are fairly mundane. The one I like to talk to illustrate the point is the dream where I am riding a bus and reading a newspaper. Nothing more. That’s the extent of it.
Anyway, when I have a memorable dream, it’s worth noting. Considering this is the second such baseball league-related dream, I conclude that I really loved doing that. And, I miss it somewhat. Also, the timing of the two dreams is interesting. Both coincided with the time of year when we were really starting to ramp up in the baseball league with registration and plans for tryouts and the start of the upcoming season.
I don’t want to say I have a ‘biological clock,’ but maybe there is something to the timing of late winter that brings on these dreams?
In the recent dream, Farragut Baseball, Inc. has acquired some new fields somewhat east of the location and I am still the Prez (so figure it is 2008 or so – about the time my team was starting to compete in the travel ball division).

I don’t believe these facilities were meant to replace the current fields. In this dream, I think the new fields marked an expansion.
I dropped by to visit the new fields. From the location in my mind, they must’ve been located somewhat east of Concord Park (on the north side of Northshore). As I dropped in, I encountered our earnest field manager, Gene, who was so helpful to me as a coach, Commish and Prez over all those years.
Gene did great work. But in this scenario, he was all keyed up.
The expansion into these new fields brought in some new coaches and they were trying to make their own rules rather than following the guidelines set by the league. I talked Gene through the process and I suggested we probably needed to schedule a coaches meeting to reiterate our league policies and to make sure the guys were on board.
He concurred.
That, basically, is the dream in a nutshell. As I mentioned, what I normally dream is fairly routine stuff.
I told you yesterday that I love how a community of volunteers forms when the individuals are working for common cause. I experienced that feeling in FB, Inc. and I strongly feel it now with the community of volunteers involved in FHS theatre.
Still, I must admit that I miss my baseball buddies. Who knows, maybe one day I will have the time to go back and start over as a coach of a brand new team.
Maybe someday. We can always dream, right?
JG
Originally posted 1/30/2013
No comments:
Post a Comment