I saw an online post from a friend, an English teacher, the other day asking how best to refer to this New Year – Is it Two Thousand Twelve or Twenty-Twelve? Really, it’s an excellent question.
While we ponder that point, I want to congratulate myself for easily making the transition from last year to this year. I’ve written the new date a number of times already and haven’t messed up once. Already it seems 2011 is so…last year.
My initial response to the question was to say that we all should opt for “Two Thousand Twelve” because “Twenty-Twelve” was probably going to be popular with the hipsters. Then, as a couple days went by, I noticed myself using “Twenty-Twelve” (which means I must be a hipster wanna-be). Now, I want to argue the other side.
Really, there are lots of arguments for it. Hear me out.
For one thing, we almost had to go with the ‘thousand’ version last year. No one said twenty-eleven. So, its like an even/odd thing. Or like taking turns. Last year thousand/this year not. Fair’s fair, right?
Secondly, by going with “Twenty-Twelve,” you save yourself a syllable (do the math).
In this fast paced modern world, that’s an important consideration. Chop chop. Say the date quickly and move on to the next thought. Think of it. How many syllables will you save yourself over the course of the next 12 months by going that route?
With this being an election year (as evidenced by the endless coverage of the Iowa caucus) as well as an Olympics year, I’m sure you’ll have lots of opportunity to say the date. So, those news stories will give you lots of chances to practice. I’m sure we’ll hear lots of references to: “Decision ‘12” (or “Decision 20-12”) or the ’12 Summer Olympics (or the “20-12 Summer Olympics”).
After all, does anyone this side of the International Olympic Committee say the London games are “The Games of the 30th Olympiad?” It’s just not a part of the public’s vernacular.
And, I can’t really hear NBC calling the games “The Thousand Twelve Olympics,” either. We say “Summer Olympics.” Or we might say the “Twenty-Twelve Olympics.” At least we will say that title as July gets closer. That seems a long way off on this cold winter’s night.
Finally, here’s one additional point in favor of “Twenty-Twelve.” Saying “Twenty-Twelve” instead of “Two Thousand Twelve” will also give you time to prepare yourself to say something else you are not accustomed to saying: February 29th.
JG
Question of the Day: How will you refer to this year? Two Thousand Twelve or Twenty Twelve?
Originally posted 1/3/2012
No comments:
Post a Comment