In just a few minutes, they’ll tip off at Fedex Forum in Memphis - the start of this year’s renewal of ‘The Game.’
University of Memphis Head Basketball Coach Josh Pastner said recently he’d prefer they just not play this game. His reasoning is he’d prefer not to play schools, such as the University of Tennessee, that try to recruit the deep college basketball talent pool in Memphis. His reasoning is such a game gives the opposition exposure.
My reasoning is more basic and much more personal. When my two favorite teams play, one of them is destined to lose. Wouldn’t it be better for them two play two separate teams on this night and both come away with Ws? I could also do without the name calling that crops up on both sides (such as on today’s CA - posted below as a source leak).
The series isn’t likely to stop any time soon – nor will the trash-talking - and no one really asked for my opinion on the matter. The game is already on the books for next year, too, and the current series is likely to be extended past that one.
That means more nights like this one for me.
Don’t me wrong. I love an exciting college basketball game as much as the next orange-blooded member of Vol Nation…or member of the University of Memphis’ Blue Crew. But therein lies the problem. I have a foot planted in both the East and West Grand Divisions of the Great State of Tennessee.
I love the University of Tennessee. Each time I sing the “Alma Mater” song I get chills. I met my wife on the UT campus. I have two degrees from the University. I root for the Vols.
I also root for the blue and gray. I take some good natured ribbing about that from folks wearing orange.
Memphis is the school I almost attended and it is also my dad’s alma mater. I have more relatives in Shelby County than all other counties in the country combined. And yes, I also know the words to “Go Tigers Go.”
Maybe you can see my dilemma.
None of that means it won’t be a thrilling game with another fantastic finish. Most of the games in this series (with the exception of a couple blowouts) have been decided by less than 10 points. If you don’t believe me, check out the Commercial Appeal’s University of Memphis all-time records page or a similar one from UT:
http://www.utsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/series-m-p.html
http://www.commercialappeal.com/data/tigersbasketball/?appSession=724262397606851
Note – Neither site has completely updated the series (which stands at 14 wins for UT to 9 for the U of M). For example, the CA page doesn’t list the 99-97 barnburner the two teams played back in November in the Maui Classic. Talk about a classic. That is one of the best games of this young season and won, barely, by Memphis after a frenetic finish and two overtimes.

The Vols’ page also doesn’t include the 54-52 heart-stopper that was played in Knoxville three years ago. The Tigers gutted out a very close win in that one. The Vols page DOES mention another classic – the #1 vs. #2 game that was played a season earlier at FedEx Forum. The Vols won that thriller by the score of 66-62. Talk about a great night for Tennessee basketball – National TV, Dickie V and everything rolled into one!
Then, there was also the time the two played a close one in the NIT tourney. The Vols won that one – back in ’90 – by two points 73-71. I could go on but I’ll let you take it from here. Suffice to say – lots of close games; lots of fantastic finishes.
I expect another amazing game tonight – even if both teams have been struggling a bit. And I will enjoy watching it. The problem is I want BOTH teams to win. Tonight, that’s just not going to happen. So, my next best hope is for a close, well-played game.
Then, tomorrow will come and I can put it behind me…for another year!
JG
http://www.examiner.com/sec-in-national/wnml-interview-with-josh-pastner-video
(Source: commercialappeal.com)
Originally posted 1/4/2012
No comments:
Post a Comment