It was a beautiful day to enjoy a football game; it was not a beautiful football game to enjoy!
In terms of the line score, let’s get the particulars out of the way. New England 34. Titans 13. It wasn’t really that close. New England basically owned the game from the start. They could do anything they wanted to do.
With the competitive aspect of the football game decided, we did what experienced fans will do. We turned our attention to everything else.
For one thing, I was impressed with the turnout of Patriot fans. They were everywhere. They were passionate but well-behaved.
There is really something impressive about seeing the throng of ‘12/Brady’ jerseys throughout L.P. Field in an array of colors and styles.

Last November, I told you about my last Titans football game adventure. Like today, the Titans lost and our memories of the day focused on the spectacle that takes place on the Shelby Street Bridge.
I also told you about the leatherneck lady fan that sits behind us. She’s quite entertaining. (See…I stopped talking about the game on the field three paragraphs ago but I’m still talking about The Fan!“).
I am happy report that nothing has changed in Titanland. Our faithful Fan was yelling and banging her chair seat to beat the band. Win or lose, she’s dedicated.
She went through her familiar repertoire:
- "Tackle!”
- “Sack!”
- “Get the Ball!”
You get the idea.
She turned to a couple Patriot fans near us - when the outcome of the game was no longer in doubt and she realized that she was going to be able to do no good on this day - and gave her testimony.
“I yell all day long,” she told them. “I figure this is the only place you can yell your lungs out and not get arrested…or thrown into the looney bin.”
Can’t argue with the logic…really.
Meanwhile, back on the Shelby Street bridge, our old pal Stonewall was back for an encore performance.

Here you can see him in action with the Nashville skyline as the backdrop.
I know I told you this last year, but I am struck by the sights and sounds as you traverse the structure from west to east. In addition to Stonewall, and a couple street preachers trying to convert the converted, I was also approached by no less than three youth football teams - shilling for sheckles.
I guess it leaves a bad taste in my mouth or something. But, I’m just not a fan of having little kids out with buckets trying to shake you down. I will give one of the teams a bit of credit. They were selling bottles of cold water on a hot day. So, you got something in return for your donation. Not so with the others.
I said to Holly, when one familiar blue-clad team made their pitch, I’d be much more inclined to support a team that does NOT call themselves the COLTS!
On one hand, you have to tip your cap to the lads for being willing to work the crowd. On the other hand, though, I long for the days when you could walk across the bridge without the spectacle.
JG
(Source: nfl.com)
Originally posted 9/9/2012
No comments:
Post a Comment