Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Snapshot from 11 years ago today

Eleven years ago, today, I took a day off. It was a beautiful early East Tennessee fall day, much as this one was.

Funny thing…the days that September line up with corresponding dates from this September. Saturday was the 8th, Sunday the 9th, Monday the 10th

Lisa was in grad school at the time. The two of us dropped off our young kids at school and we proceeded to spend the day together – running errands and working on a couple projects.

I had been up very late the night before. I had known, in advance, that would be the case. That is part of the reason I had planned for taking off that Monday in the first place. I had a project I was working on late that Sunday night – September 9. You might call it a guilty pleasure. You could call it a goal, set many years earlier, that was about to be achieved.

Fantasy Baseball
When most people think of fantasy sports, they think of a hobby – some off-hand pass time that takes a few minutes of your time here and there. But at the time, my old friend Derek and I were part of a fantasy baseball league that was so intense, it was almost like having a part-time job on top of your full-time job. You had to really put that amount time in to be able to compete in the league – that’s how fanatical the guys in the Smokey Louis Fantasy Baseball League were in September of 2001.

In fact, competition in the league was so intense, that he and I knew we couldn’t keep doing it. We knew we were about ready to give it up because of our work and family responsibilities and we just weren’t going to be able to have the time to keep doing it. (Looking back, I don’t know how we did it at all).

But first things first…we were on the edge of winning a championship in September 2001. Heading into that weekend, our team, the Commanders held a ‘commanding’ lead over the Panthers. Those cats were making a late run at us as the championship game was winding down but I thought we probably had enough in the tank to hold them off.

I was starting to allow myself to get a little excited.

Sleeping in
I slept late on that Monday. I got up in time to take the kids. Then Lisa and I went to enjoy a nice Cracker Barrel breakfast. We enjoyed the time together and spent time catching up.

We were also planning to work around the house and around the yard that day as we transitioned from late summer to early fall around our house on Twin Hill Lane. I think we may have purchased some fall plants that we set out that day.

My mind really wasn’t on landscaping, though. I was celebrating the great news from the night before.

Totals and Highlights
I knew the Commanders were holding a solid lead heading into Sunday. I logged on late that night to total up the fantasy baseball points from the day. I learned, early on, that the Commanders had, in fact, held their lead and expanded it by a bit. Just after midnight – in the wee hours of the morning of September 10, 2001, I let out an exhale (and a yahoooo!). The Commanders were champions of SLFBL.

I shot a quick email to Derek and, also, to John McManus (our commish). I also wrote a quick note to our opponent congratulating him on a great season and letting him know how my math totaled up the final score.

Then, for my amusement (and for Derek’s), I put together a quick one page tribute website announcing the Commanders were crowned champions (and listing some of the key players who contributed to the winning total).

It must’ve been nearly 2 a.m. when I finally went to sleep.

Monday Monday
Early in the day on Monday, I touched base – by phone – with Derek and John. I also chatted via email with the Panthers’ owner (and he congratulated us). Soon, the word went out that the Commanders (recently known as league bridesmaids after falling just short of a title in ‘98, ’99 and ‘00) had won the title. John told me he would soon package up the league trophy to send our way.

I posed with the trophy later that fall when Lisa and I headed to a black-tie event. I just felt like the accomplishment was worth celebrating in style!

image

Later in the fall, I met Derek for lunch and we celebrated with a more low-key event.

image

Meanwhile, throughout the day on Monday September 10, 2011, I enjoyed a fun and frivolous day off. I enjoyed spending time with my lovely wife. I enjoyed working around the house. I enjoyed the beauty of a lovely fall day.

And I prepared to go back to work the next day after a nice three day weekend. I knew I would have a bunch of emails to wade through when I logged in the next morning.

I had absolutely no idea what news one of the emails would tell me.

JG

(Source: slfbl.blogspot.com)

Originally posted 9/10/2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...