Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Open House

Tonight, Farragut High School hosted Open House for the Fall Semester. It’s an excellent event that gives parents the opportunity to learn a great deal of information.

You might have been to this event before – or similar events like it at other schools. The basic premise is that you follow your teen’s school schedule and change classes after mini-sessions with his/her teacher. The teacher often delivers a brief presentation and then opens the session up for Q&A. It can be a great opportunity for give and take and an even better opportunity to learn what’s going on in class.

Before the changing of classes (which lasts, roughly, from 7:40 to 8:30), there were also class meetings (we met with senior class parents in The Commons) and we got a lot of great information from our administrators and counselors.

image

There was, also, a general session of the PTSO. Tonight was another great night all around. I especially enjoyed meeting the teachers.

One curiosity, though. I’ve never understood why the folks come on the intercom and tell you that when the bell rings, you change classes. Then the bell rings. You change classes.

The only downside for Open House is that it all moves so very fast. In a way, that’s a metaphor for this year, isn’t it?

Also for me, personally, the opportunity to be back at my alma mater, for any reason, retracing my earlier steps from orange wing to yellow to red, is always pleasing. Frequently, during these events, I’ll see something out of the corner of my eye and I’ll be, temporarily, transported back in time.

In an instant, I’m working on an article for the school newspaper, chatting with my favorite high school teacher, Mrs. Johnson, hanging out with my high school friends or spending special time with my high school girlfriend. Or, I might not be doing any of the above. I might be enjoying a random memory of some kid dropping their tray in the lunchroom…or a classmate losing a stack of books or excitement of watching the Admirals win on the basketball court.

Whatever the memory, its momentary and then I’m snapped back to the reality; back with the other parents hurridly hustling from 2nd Block to 3rd Block at the end of a long and busy work day.

But the memory is pleasing none-the-less.

It was also fun to see many friends, as I often do. I also had the occasion to pass through the yellow wing hall and see the spot where Holly autographed the wall, along with fellow classmates after they finished a service project, a couple years ago.

image

Also impressive is the good work of the faculty and staff of this wonderful high school. Academically rigorous, staffed by educational professionals who have a passion for their work and who truly strive to help Farragut reach its goal of academic excellence.

Full steam ahead.

JG  

(Source: farraguths.knoxschools.org)

Originally posted 9/6/2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...