Monday, July 26, 2021

May I welcome you back?

I flipped the calendar this morning and it now says ‘May.’ That means today is ‘May Day’ (not to be confused with ‘MayDay,’ as in a distress call).

Things are very busy for us right now, but I don’t know that any of us has sent up a distress call!

May Day means lots of things around the world. Growing up, I always heard about legendary celebrations ‘around a maypole,’ but I confess. I don’t really even know what a maypole is and, in reality, I have never seen anyone celebrate ‘May Day.’

I guess it’s not one of your high profit American holidays. I don’t recall seeing any ‘May Day’ card selections at the local Hallmark store.

Around the world, I guess, it’s a biggie. Communist nations always had big May Day events. I remember seeing a few clips on the evening news when I was growing up. I read this morning that the Occupy crowd was doing something for May Day.

None of these commemorations are really applicable in Farragut, TN. There is not, for example, any push for an ‘Occupy Farragut.’

For me, personally, the magnitude of this day is simple. Other than December, which gets its own identity from the wonderful celebrations associated with Christmas, May is my favorite month of the year. May is MY MONTH.

My birthday is in May; so is my son’s.

In May, we get the flowers after the April showers.

In May, you get the real warmth of spring with few extreme cold snaps and without the oppressive heat of summer.

In May, the major league baseball season makes the turn at the quarter mark of the season.

And this year in May, we’ll have an early vacation before the unique crazy schedules of Summer 2012 kick in for our family.

For me, taking a moment to pause and celebrate May is personal. You might like October better because of the autumn chill and the passion of the football season or you might be a winterer who loves the hearts and flowers of February. But for me, it doesn’t get any better than May.

Ripe strawberries in season, birthday cakes in the oven and the end of a long, grueling school year.

Welcome back, May. It’s been a while. Good to see you again!

JG  

(Source: theholidayspot.com)

Originally posted 5/1/2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...