I went out to fire up the grill this evening and I found that I had some company.
Normally, you might think that Roger had shown up to supervise my work. Often that is true. But honestly, if that had been the case this evening, I suspect things would NOT have gone so well for my companion. For, lumbering across the patio was a very large, very slow patent leather beetle.
He was a striking chap - about an inch and a half in length with a shiny black coat.
I rather imagine that his home is not so far away. Remember I wrote a few weeks back about Roger going “Into the Woods.” I think that is where PLB was heading…just much slower.
In a way, it was kind of painful, yet somewhat charming, to watch him plod along as I tended to our dinner. I would imagine if he were trying to elude predators, he wouldn’t have much hope. But, as he crossed in front of me, heading toward the lip of the patio and then down to the lawn, he really didn’t encounter any malevolence.
Later, as I read about my new-found friend, I learned these beetles can be quite social. In fact, if there is any danger in the area, they can warn others with a striking sound. I’m sure I have heard this in the symphony that often serenades us on summer nights.
Patent Leather Beetles often live in dead tree stumps or fallen tree trunks. We have many of those in our woods. I’m sure he was making his way back home after a day of exploring the surroundings.
In fact, as I looked off beyond the patio, I saw a rotting stump that might serve as home for the PLB. At least that was the direction he was heading.
And judging by the rate of speed he was going, I suspect he might make it those 14 or 15 feet by daybreak.
JG
(Source: fcps.edu)
Originally posted 4/30/2012
No comments:
Post a Comment