Thursday, July 22, 2021

Fall Back

Lisa and I agree about most everything.

We have the same ideas about managing our finances, household and family. We even have similar voting patterns. She introduced me to Diet Coke, chocolate and frozen yogurt.

But one thing we definitely DO NOT agree about: the time change. You say “SPRING FORWARD/FALL BACK.” I call it “JEFF TIME/LISA TIME.”

And here we are again…on the precipice of doing the ‘fall back’ thing again as Daylight Saving Time ends for 2011 and we go back to Standard Time. Suddenly, all I’m hearing about is one night of extra sleep. Blah Blah Blah extra sleep. Sleep. Shmeep.

My counter-arguments:

“What about coming home from work at the end of the day and finding it dark already?”
“What about in a few weeks when it is dark for both commutes?”
“What about the days of waking up a 4 a.m. because your internal clock hasn’t adjusted?”

My questions are easily brushed away. All worth-while sacrifices in the name of one extra hour of sleep ONE NIGHT.

Thing is: I think she really feels cheated for losing that one hour back in March!

Fall back with me for just a moment (if you will) to spring…when we did the last time change - from Lisa Time to Jeff Time. I was gleeful! She was glum.

Now we reverse the clocks and we reverse the moods.

She gets her extra hour of sleep and if I want do to outside work in the evenings, I better take a flashlight.

Oh, I guess it’s really not THAT bad. I like to play it up for effect. Really, the reality of it is that we’re going to do the clock shuffle whether I like it or not. Hey, I can be a good sport. I even read a couple articles that say the time change is actually good for us.

So…with a good positive spirit, I changed the batteries in the smoke detectors and I already reversed some clocks back an hour.

And I poured myself another glass of Diet Coke. I think this night is going to be a long one!

JG

(Source: abcnews.go.com)

Originally posted 11/5/2011

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...