Customer service isn’t dead after all.
Just the other day, I had an experience that renews my faith in the notion of old fashioned, high quality customer service. And, ironically, it came about as a response to changing times.
It all started when I read that, starting in November, the Memphis Commercial Appeal newspaper is going to begin charging for online content. I was sorry to hear this because I visit commercialappeal.com frequently.
So does my dad.
This new pricing plan is not unusual; newspapers across the country are trying to adjust their policies with regard to online content. As readership of printed newspapers declines and online content becomes more and more popular, the industry must adjust its practices to match the habits of their customers. This re-calibration is necessary in order for that industry to remain profitable.
I don’t object so much to the notion of paying; I just needed to figure out HOW to pay.
And as it turns out, with the holiday season approaching (as well as my dad’s birthday in a few weeks), an online newspaper subscription makes an excellent gift for ‘the man who has everything’ and really enjoys reading his hometown newspaper.
So, early this week, I went back to commercialappeal.com to read more about the policy to find out what I needed to do to sign us up. Soon, I found a phone number and made the call. A very friendly customer service representative, Ms. Little, answered the phone and she proceeded to help me.
I told her what I was wanting to do (to sign me up and also my dad) and I asked her about the various options. Soon, we had identified the plan that would work for both of us and we worked to set up the two accounts.
Meanwhile, as she waited for various screens to load, Ms. Little asked about our family’s connection to West Tennessee. I told her that my dad is a graduate of Millington High School. She told me she had family in Millington.
Later, as the conversation continued, I asked how the weather was dawning in Memphis this morning. She said it was a GLORIOUS day. She went on to explain that the day we talked was her last day at work. Then, retirement begins.
We chit-chatted a bit more as she typed our information into the computer. On a couple of occasions, she paused to ask a co-worker, Bill, for guidance. He assisted. And when we were wrapping up, she assured me that our account would go live the next day but if we had any problems we could call back to this number and we’d receive good customer service.
And she was right. The very next day, I had trouble getting the website to accept the automated validation number I received upon registering. One quick phone call cleared that up…just took a sec.
Kudos all around.
Meanwhile, the business world is losing one person responsible great customer service: Ms. Little.
E-commerce’s loss is retirement’s gain.
JG
(Source: commercialappeal.com)
Originally posted 11/4/2011
No comments:
Post a Comment