One of my dad’s favorite quotes when I was growing up was “You learn something new every day.”
Yesterday morning, I proved that, once again, Dad is right.
For years, Holly & Paul have been fans of the movie “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off.” By now, they’ve probably watched the film at least a dozen times. I’ve seen it a few times myself and I, somehow, had missed the fact that the name of the posh restaurant featured early in the film is called Chez Quis (pronounced Shay Kees).
Like I said…I learned that yesterday morning.
And as the conversation ensued, we definitely had a case of communication breakdown between the three of us. They were talking about a restaurant. I thought I heard them say ‘Shakey’s’ (pronounced Chez Quis).
I asked them how they knew about Shakey’s Pizza? They gave me blank stares. I went on to tell them about how there was this pizza place I went to when I was a kid. I described it in great detail.
At some point, Holly politely interrupted me and told me they were talking about Chez Quis and NOT Shakey’s! But then, she wanted to hear more.
The first time I ever ate pizza as a kid was once when our family went out with the family next door and the place we went was Shakey’s. It wasn’t just a cookie cutter style restaurant OR one of those places with the red and white oil cloths on the tables. At Shakey’s, there were banjo players walking around the room. Colorfully dressed, with red and white striped shirts and straw hats, these guys led the patrons in sing-alongs while pizza slices were passed from platter to plate.
I seem to remember a guy playing an old style piano, too. I also remember we had a great time.
In any case, there are no Shakey’s pizza establishments around Tennessee and I guess there haven’t been for a while. I hadn’t even thought of Shakey’s for years. I wondered if the company even still existed.
I went online and found that it is indeed still in business. Founded in California, Shakey’s is still very much alive and well along the west coast. The website tells the Shakey’s Pizza story. You can even watch a couple vintage television commercials. And there is a link showing all the locations of Shakey’s Pizza establishments.
Turns out, there are a few of them scattered throughout the country. But, your best bet to find the ragtime pizza band is to look in The Golden State.
And if you’re looking for Chez Quis, ask Ferris.
JG
(Source: shakeys.com)
Originally posted 11/7/2011
No comments:
Post a Comment