For years, high schools across America have been hosting ‘homecoming.’ Farragut’s is tomorrow night.
I love the idea of homecoming. My only question is ‘who’s coming home?’
The suggestion is that you have a number of alumni returning for events surrounding the football game - as you’d see on any college campus. Apart from the FHS alumni association setting up a booth at the game, you really don’t see anything geared to those of us who came before.
Of course, a few of us alums usually show up at some of the games anyway.
As it turns out, my best friend, Ed, is going to be in town for the weekend and he and I are going to the game.
He frequently comes to town this time of year. Some times, he and I go to a Titans game or a Vols game. He has also attended one of Paul’s plays during a visit. And this weekend, we’re going to the FHS-West game.
So, I guess in a way, he’s the answer to my question: Ed is coming home!

He and I have talked a lot about our experiences at FHS. One of my favorite was Homecoming. I loved the feeling of the crisp autumn air and the excitement of the first dance of the school year. I had a great time at the dance that night

It always helps, too, when your team wins (as we did back during my senior year).
Speaking of seniors, our graduating class planned its latest reunion last fall but I honestly thought we missed the boat by not scheduling the reunion for homecoming weekend. I think there was some sentiment for doing that, but it just didn’t happen.
And maybe that’s okay. The focus should be on this era of students and their activities and it sounds like they have had a lot of fun this week with special events including:
- Twin Day (you and a buddy dress alike)
- Movie Day (you dress like your favorite movie character)
- America Day (which was appropriately scheduled for Tuesday – and students wore patriotic clothing)
On Friday, there’ll be a school pep rally. I have a feeling Admiral Dave may make an appearance.

And that night, of course, there is the game and dance afterward.
Many students will dress up and go to dinner. I know that Paul and his group of friends are planning that sort of outing. Holly used to do the same with her pals.
They meet before dinner for pictures. Then, they go to dinner, stop by the football game for a while and then head to the dance.
That’s the plan, any way. And it’s a good plan.
Who’s coming home? After the dance, a lot of happy FHS students after a great evening of fun and excitement with their friends and classmates.
JG
(Source: farraguths.knoxschools.org)
Originally posted 9/13/2012
No comments:
Post a Comment