One of the rewarding parts of parenting is watching your children grow and develop. And part of the fun along the way is hearing the funny things kids will say.
For example, when Paul was very little and he would want to sing the “Itsy Bitsy Spider” song, he called it “Eeeps Beep Beeps.” Not sure why. Guess that’s how it sounded to an 18 month old tot.
I was thinking of “Eeeps beep beeps” this weekend when I noticed an orb web spider had built a large web on our back porch. I guess it’s that time of year. I’ve read that they are very active this time of year.
I remember last fall, an orb spider spun its web near the foster holly tree in the front of our house. This orb spider, however, chose our back porch for its location.

You’d almost think that was some creepy Halloween decoration on our part. But, no, honestly. She’s real. You can’t really see the detail of her web or of her coloring, her but because of the glass, I was able to get very close to snap this picture. You definitely get a feel for the size of this spider.
She is neither ’eeeps’ nor ’beeps!’ She’s HUGE! Honestly, she’s not quite as big as this picture shows. I took the photo using my cell phone….must be something odd about the angle. Still, she’s a big'n.
I have always had a fascination for spiders. I think the way they work is ingenious. I just try to avoid getting TOO close, especially with some of the more notorious arachnids, that can make you sick. I kept my distance from this one, for example, that I discovered under my lawn mower about this time of year three years ago.

After discovering this spider, I read a couple interesting factoids. For example, they will often spin a web and then consume it later and try again. I guess their webs can get torn up by wind and rain (or by the frequent arrival of prey). I read it is also a source of protein for these spiders. So, if you don’t catch anything, they chow down on the web and try again.
They can re-spin a new web each morning if needed.
I do question the logic of this particular eeeps beep beeps, though. I’m not sure how much prey she’s going to catch on our screened in back porch. After we cleaned it up for fall a few weeks ago, Lisa has been keeping the door shut tight. So, there won’t be too many flying insects wandering in by mistake.
Whatever the case, it is nice to have such a rare glimpse (protected by glass) of an orb spider - up close and personal.
JG
Originally posted 9/16/2012
No comments:
Post a Comment