Wednesday, July 22, 2026

Trends

Where it comes to my sports rooting interests, you might say I am a traditionalist. 

And whereas I am a fan of some of the improvements MLB has made in the game recently, I am not one of these fans who jumps on the wave of a trendy new fan activity - especially not when I'm attending a game.
  • I don't know that I've ever sung "Day-O" in a call and response.
  • I don't feel the need to "clap my hands" when I'm told "everybody clap your hands."
  • And I never, well, jump on the wave...of The Wave.
These trends remind me a bit, of, what we used to call "forced fun" in the world of work. Like the time I went on a business trip and, despite the fact I had a serious head cold, was told everyone in the group: "Is going out bowling, tonight, and you will enjoy it."

Forced fun.

I am also not likely to jump on the wave of the latest fan trend that seems to be sweeping the ballparks of our nation - "Tarps Off." I'm not sure I would describe it as "forced fun" as in the other examples, but, still, it still doesn't feel like something I'd ever want to do.

If you haven't seen this in action, I'll briefly describe "Tarps Off." A group of young men sitting in the upper deck cheap seats–usually left field or right field–take their shirts off and wave them in a circular fashion. There was a small but festive group at a recent game I attended.



Depending on which version of the practice you read about, the trend either started in St. Louis or in college football last season. 

In any case, it happens at many ballparks now.  A bunch of young guys--usually thin college-aged chaps, although some do look younger--gather at the appointed spot and partake in the activity. The group may start off small but adds members as the game progresses.

They seem to be featured at least a couple times on a team's telecast.


I guess this craze is one way to market seats that might normally be low-sellers. And, if I were a young college student, I could definitely see the appeal. Maybe you don't have enough money for a lower bowl seat and an adult beverage? But, if you buy the cheap seats, you might still have enough cash left over for a frosty libation. Or two.

Looks like they are having fun. But it's not for me.

I used to always cringe when the P.E. teacher divided up the boys between "shirts and skins" for an organized/pick-up basketball game in class. I hoped like anything to be a part of the shirts squad. Alas, I'd say my record–like many coin tosses–was about 50/50. 

Take it off!

Nothing like being a teenage boy, pouring the sweat with nothing to soak it up as you run up and down the court beside your cohorts for an hour.

At least, in this case, there is no running involved. Or shouldn't be. But, I would imagine the "Tarps Off" crowd could get a bit sweaty on a sultery summer night. Or day. 

Alas. This too shall pass. Like past crazes such as Turn Back the Clock night. Or Free Ball night. Or 10 Cent Beer night. Or, my goodness, Disco Demolition night. 

Compared to some of those events, maybe some shirtless college kids doesn't sound so bad, after all.

JG

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...