Monday, July 20, 2026

Reunions

One of the benefits of retirement is the flexibility it affords. And one benefit of that flexibility is that you have time to do some things you might not have been able to do previously.

Like reunions.

I told you previously about re-connecting with members of my high school graduating class. I've attended two of its quarterly get-togethers and plan to do the upcoming one next month.

I was also invited to join a group of former Children's Hospital employees. The group gets together for regular lunch gatherings. I was happy to receive the invitation but, honestly, when I went to the luncheon last Friday, I wasn't sure many people would remember me. 

What's the current phrase? "It's been a minute." Indeed, it has been a little while since I was hired for my first PR job, managing internal publications, for ETCH (recently re-branded as Dolly Parton Children's Hospital). I worked there for three years until I went back to grad school.

So, even though it was a glorious ride, it was a relatively short one.

I wasn't sure my former co-workers would remember this young fella (especially without his early 90s era button suspenders).



I couldn't have been more wrong. There was a group of more than 20 Children's alumni at the meet-up. Upon my arrival, I was the recipient of many hugs and handshakes. And rather than folks not remembering me, some were afraid I wouldn't remember them. 

I did.

In fact, one of the "other duties as assigned" for a P.R. practitioner is to build relationships; to create a professional network. It is important to do so within the external community but you also do it within the structure of your organization.

So, I remembered many of the doctors, nurses and administrators who were enjoying lunch together as many were a part of that vital network. In an instant, a flood of memories of those former co-workers came rolling back. I recalled patient stories I wrote and interviews with staff that made those possible. I remembered hospital special events for which I provided support and the teamwork and camaraderie we shared.

And indeed, there was a lot of shared camaraderie around the table on Friday.

It was a special organization to serve.  I experienced a great deal of genuine warmth and found it was a great place to begin my public relations career. I feel honored to have had that opportunity. 

And I was so glad the group reached out to include me in this get-together.  You can count on me heading back for the next one.

JG

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...