For a while now, many of my high school classmates (and friends) have been getting together for an informal meet and greet at various local restaurants.
Yesterday, I joined them and I had so much fun. It was really great to re-connect.
The informal nature of the event gave us all the opportunity to talk to a number of our classmates. There were hugs, handshakes and high-fives. And lots of conversation. "What are you doing these days?" "Do you remember (this person)?"
Moreover, I learned that many of us are recently retired. Also, many of us are dealing with the realities of aging parents. Some are new grandparents. Others hope to be.
Lots of common ground.
Many classes meet for reunions at 10 year intervals and our's is no exception. At the 10 year mark, I honestly don't know why I didn't attend. I should've. Just young and clueless, I guess. For number 20, we were in the process of moving from house #1 to house #2.
When the 30 year reunion rolled around, would you believe the FHS event fell exactly on the same evening as Lisa's class reunion? What are the odds?
As we were deciding which celebration to attend, the tiebreaker turned out to be a personal no-brainer. One of Lisa's close friends was planing to be there even though she was dealing with serious (terminal) illness.
I was glad we chose her class reunion that night even though I was bummed out about missing my own. Still, it was the right call for us as Lisa was able to be with her friend who has since passed. It was the right thing to do.
That brought me to my 40th and I was determined not to miss it. I had a blast that night five years ago and was especially happy to be able to spend a lot of time with one of my closest friends. Afterward, we went out for drinks and a chance to catch up.
The great feelings of 40th inspired me to be more intentional about trying to meet up with my classmates. I wasn't able to attend the first two gatherings of 2026 but I was successful yesterday. Lisa was gracious about my attendance even though it was our anniversary (we did our official celebration with a nice dinner out on Saturday night).
So, there I was yesterday with folks who whom I once shared the hallowed high school grounds. There was a lot of warmth around the table. We shared some stories and a lot of laughs.
Before I left, we all posed for a group picture and there was talk of the next get-together sometime this summer.
Like the old song says, I'll be there.
JG
No comments:
Post a Comment