Tuesday, July 14, 2026

Eyeball QSO

In the amateur radio world, there are a number of "Q signals." QSO, for instance, means an on-air contact. 

An "Eyeball QSO," then,is when you meet a fellow amateur radio operator in person. So, you see each other eyeball to eyeball.

I had the opportunity for just such of a meet-up last Saturday. Lisa and I drove to Middle Tennessee and I had lunch with a number of members of the Tennessee Contest Group (TCG). I had previously completed QSOs with some of the operators. And for others, it was the first time to meet them.

Either way, it was great fun. We all talked shop. Exchanged stories. Made future plans. And had some good food and fellowship in the process.

An added bonus: Lisa and I discovered there is a Tim Horton's in Lebanon, TN (just down the road from where the lunch bunch gathered).



As for the meet-up, the more I go into this ham radio re-boot of mine—now nearly five years—I am finding this aspect of the hobby is one of my favorites. It's one thing to exchange dits and dahs over the airwaves.

That's really cool.

But then to meet the person from the other end of the QSO in person. That's really special.
For some hams, it's not important. For me, it is becoming one of the most important factors. To meet the person behind the signal. To learn a little about them. To see them in person.

I did it when I met my friend, Tim, in Seattle two years ago. I did it again last summer at Hamvention when I spent time with so many. And now, a meet up with TCG colleagues.

Moving forward, I have a table full of new contacts I've met in person. And I will hope to build on those connections moving forward and do other similar get-togethers as time and opportunity allows.

JG


No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...