Wednesday, July 15, 2026

ASG 2026

Last night, the American League shut out the National League 4-0 in the 2026 All Star Game, the 96th in history. In fact, the NL only managed 3 hits while striking out a whopping 15 times.

There wasn't a lot of memorable action in the game. Really, the ceremonies (pre-game and in-game) were the things I'll take away from this edition.


If we somehow forgot the game was being played in Philly, FOX surely kept reminding us. Yeah, yeah, we get it.

Now in the books, last night's game fits into the on-going tapestry. Ninety-six squares and counting. Heroes and highlights. Magic moments. 

I remember many of the most vivid ones. Some might say that means #CoachJeff is getting older. OK, I'll accept that. But it sure has been fun to watch them along the way. Family tradition.

As I set my own personal calendar, the Midsummer Classic really does feel like the mid-point. This was really true during my school-age years. It was often one of the biggest highlights of summer when life was lived at a slower pace.  

As a tyke, I remember watching the 1970 All Star Game. So, I guess that was my first. 

Through the years, here are some I remember:

1970 - Pete Rose barreled into catcher, Ray Fosse, at home plate to score a walk-off win for the N.L.

1971 - Reggie Jackson hit a towering home run onto the roof of old Tiger Stadium in Detroit. 

1979 - Dave Parker threw a rope to home plate to nail Brian Downing at home plate at the Kingdome in Seattle.

1993 - John Kruk's shaky at bat vs. Randy Johnson.

1999 - Boston Red Sox legend Ted Williams was greeted on the field at Fenway Park by the '99 All Stars.

2000 - Hometown star, Chipper Jones, tied the game with a home run in Atlanta at Turner Field.

2002 - The 2002 Midsummer Classic ended in a tie when both teams, famously, ran out of pitchers. 

2025 - The National League won the 2025 All Star Game on a "swing off" after the American League rallied from a 6-0 deficit. 


What moments will we all remember from the 2026 game? Fifteen Ks? One hit batsman (and a lot of fingers crossed that he wasn't hurt). Lots of pageantry surrounding America250. 

And how will the 2026 ASG fit into the 96 year fabric of the game?

What were your favorite moments (past and present)? Drop us a line and let #CoachJeff know your highlights from last night and yesteryear.

JG


No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...