Editor's Note - This is the third of a four-part series summarizing our wonderful vacation of 2026. I will return to #CoachJeff's regular format next week.
You didn't actually think you'd get through a week of blog posts without a mention of baseball...did ya?
Well, for those who were worried (and even those who weren't) today's post focuses on our day at Fenway Park. When I wrote the piece summarizing my quest to visit all 30 ballparks back in the spring, I noted that the classic parks - Wrigley, Dodger Stadium, and Fenway are in a class by themselves. And after our day at the corner of Landsdowne Street and Brookline Avenue, I'm more convinced of the fact that ever.
And here's a bonus: It just so happened that my favorite team, the Atlanta Braves were the opponents for our vacaation baseball day. So much the better.
I will confess it was hard not to root for the home team, however.
The Braves won the game in convincing fashion, 10-2, thus depriving the contest of any drama. Ronald Acuña Jr. burst the game open with a grand slam over the Green Monster. in the sixth inning. At that moment, you could feel the New England air deflate from the crowd.
Normally, I would have been sad along with the Red Sox faithful but not on this day. I didn't chop and chant as some Braves fans did that day. But I did cheer.
Apart from the game itself, I took time to admire this venerable structure that opened in 1912.
Some highlights from the day:
- Paul enjoyed a Fenway Frank
- We strolled the grounds outside the park
- We even sang along with "Sweet Caroline" in the 8th inning
I'd say all of that adds up to a full day and a rich experience.
When you are fortunate enough to enjoy such a rewarding vacation, it's hard to pick one moment or one event as your favorite from the entire trip. But it sure would be hard to bet against a beautiful spring day at Fenway.
JG
No comments:
Post a Comment