Thursday, April 16, 2026

40

By the time a new blog week rolls around, Lisa and I will have celebrated our 40th anniversary. So, today is my day to mark the occasion here in this edition of #CoachJeff.

I jokingly say Lisa should get extra credit for putting up with me for 40 years. But, indeed, celebrating "40" (or any advanced anniversary number) is made possible by an unbeatable combination of patience, persistence and perseverance. Oh, and throw in a dash of conversation and compromise for good measure.

And it all got started back in the middle 1980s. We met as undergrads in college during our senior year and, together, we've gone through many seasons of life to get to "40."

Picking out 40 anniversary cards over the years is no small measure. There are just so many choices, it can be overwhelming.


Early on, I learned what style she liked and, in fact,  it is also my preference. This is another example of how well we are matched!

Cards come in all shapes and sizes.  A few cards  are multi-page productions. Others are very ornate.  Some contain humor or very personal messages. Nothing is wrong with any of those creations and I'm sure each couple finds that style that suits them best. 

She prefers--and I agree--a minimalist approach. Simple card; simple message. So, for #40, that's what I picked out. I hope she likes it. I think she will. Add a treat and a nice dinner and we should have a nice celebration.

Much like we did 40 years ago.

I remember the week of our wedding like it was yesterday. I had a great group of high school friends and, honestly, that week was the last time we were all together. It was glorious. I treasure those memories.

The event, itself, came off flawlessly. And what a beautiful day it was.

Much like this spring, the spring of '86 was picturesque. I enjoyed spending a lot of time outdoors that April. When I think of our anniversary, I think of our beautiful East Tennessee springs. That day one was one for the books.

So, this weekend, think of us as we have a nice dinner and do our own retrospective on that day and many great ones since then. 

JG

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...