Thursday, April 23, 2026

Crowning Achievement

It has been a number of years since I last added a new dental crown to my collection. But in discussing my teeth during a recent cleaning and exam, my dentist suggested a little preventive maintenance.

So, earlier this week, I received a crown on good ol' number 3. Like athletes, I guess each of our teeth has a number!

Here's a basic diagram illustrating a dental crown procedure:

Image by brgfx at Freepik.

The first time I got a crown was during my college days. Man, things sure have changed since then. And that starts with having some really good dental insurance. 

When we we discussing the procedure two weeks go, my dentist suggested I bring a device with music and headphones--I took my iPhone--and jam out while he did the prep work. 

So, there I was, as the drill was doing its bit, I enjoyed the music with earphones plugged. It was a nice diversion with my new playlist "dentist and driving" serving as the soundtrack for the day.

The staff at Volunteer Dentistry makes the crowns, themselves, on site. After my dentist did the prep work, we had a brief conversation about developments in materials science that has led to the advances in his industry.

Then, while he went away to manufacture the crown, I was free to work on my laptop in the exam room. Actually, I posted the update on the BFCRM song, "Mother on the Moon" from the dental office.

Soon, about the time I had reached a good stopping point on the computer, the dentist and his assistant were back and they were ready to install the crown. After a bit of adjustment, I was set.

And whereas you wouldn't necessarily categorize this as my "crowning achievement," still, I had a really good experience. The thought of receiving a second crown this fall doesn't sound so daunting.

JG

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...