Thursday, February 9, 2023

To the Batpoles

Yesterday’s release of the 1960s Batman series on Blu-ray and DVD prompted a tremendous exclamation of “Holy Finally!”

It’s long overdue.

With the release, I have read articles about the Batman show as well as other depictions of the Caped Crusader and I saw this hilarious meme circulating the Facebook ranks.

image

Everyone, it seems, loves the Batman!

I’ll spare you with any summary of the franchise, the history of the show or the character or even any polls about which portray is my/your favorite. To me, there is only one version and that is the one I grew up with as a tiny tot. It aired twice a week - on back to back nights - on ABC in 1966-68.

Later, as a young teen, I rediscovered the show in afternoon syndication or as summer break tv fare.

By then, the cliffhanger approach had been eschewed; often the shows played back to back (although not always). But the words “Same Bat Time/Same Bat Channel” have special meaning to those of us who would tune in and watch and wonder how Batman would escape that particular trap.

I love lists and I thought the best way for me to pay tribute to the release of this DVD set is by telling you my own Top 10. Here are my Top 10 favorite episodes of the Batman show.  

The Official Batbook by Joel Eisner is a great resource if you love the show as many of my compadres do. It has a thorough episode guide and features other wonderful tidbits about the show.

Now…to the list.

10. Episode 79 Batman’s Anniversary/ Episode 80 A Riddling Controversy

9. Episode 13 The Thirteenth Hat/ Episode 14 Batman Stands Pat

8. Episode 59 Come Back, Shame / Episode 60 It’s How You Play the Game

7. Episode 51 Hizzoner the Penguin / Episode 52 Dizzoner the Penguin

6. Episode 91 Pop Goes the Joker / Episode 92 Flop Goes the Joker

5. Episode 83 Catwoman Goes to College / Episode 84 Batman Displays His Knowledge

4. Episode 71 The Zodiac Crimes / Episode 72 The Joker’s Hard Times / Episode 73 The Penguin Declines

3. Episode 85 A Piece of the Action / Episode 86 Batman’s Satisfaction

2.  Episode 53 Green Ice/ Episode 54 Deep Freeze

1. Episode 81 The Joker’s Last Laugh/ Episode 82 The Joker’s Epitaph

JG

Originally posted 11/12/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...