Thursday, February 9, 2023

Thoughts on the Series

I’ll be honest with you. This particular World Series match-up doesn’t really do much for me.

It’ll be interesting to see how the ratings go. My guess is they’ll be lower than, say, the 2009 Yankees-Phillies match-up (just to name one). Don’t you think the network execs were hoping for a Dodgers-Angels match-up when The Hunt for October began. 

I really don’t have strong feelings about either one of these teams. So, I guess I can watch as a neutral, impartial observer. I was surprised that last night’s Game One was so one-sided. Tonight is a must-win for the Royals. They don’t want to head west down 2-0 in the Series.

Regarding the two teams, I’d be okay either way.

I used to have hard feelings against K.C. Those memories date to the 1985 Series and one very badly blown call at first base. I was a huge Cardinals fan then. The bad call and the outcome still stings to this day.

But, over time, those feelings have mellowed. A vacation trip to K.C. and my wife’s positive feelings toward the town have helped. 

I’ll tell you this: When we saw them play the Diamondbacks in Arizona in August, I had no idea I’d be watching a future World Series participant.

image 

As for San Fran, I’ve always been a National League guy. And, you have to admire their scrappy story. But, it’s not like they are prohibitive underdogs. They won the whole thing in ’10 and ’12 (and considering this is ’14, you think there might be some sort of pattern going on here).

Of course, as I mentioned before, AT&T Park is a lovely place to see a game. Well, Kauffman Stadium for that matter, is a great park as well. No matter where the final out is made (and the winning team rejoices), there will be a great back-drop for the celebration.

In the meantime, these games serve as a distraction for the rebuilding effort that will happen for the Bravos over the upcoming months. The 2014 season was a tremendous disappointment and there is much to be done to rebuild the ballclub into a winner.

Anyway, those roster moves and coaching decisions will be made as the offseason unfolds. For now, I’ll plan to enjoy the final MLB games of the 2014 season.  I’ll be neutral and happy for whichever team – and fanbase – celebrates a championship.

Then, we’ll turn our attention to other matters as the last pitch is thrown and the long, cold winter moves in.

JG

Originally posted 10/22/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...