Thursday, February 9, 2023

Thoughts About Parliament Hill…

Coming to grips with this modern reality – terror attacks and random shootings – a common reaction for each of us is “Oh, no. Not again. How awful.”

When the attack takes place somewhere familiar, it’s somehow more personal. 

Such was the case for Lisa and I last evening as we discussed the shooting at the War Memorial in Ottawa yesterday and the subsequent shootout at Parliament Hill. Lisa and I watched a few minutes of Canadian news coverage – streamed via C-Span – last night and remembered that beautiful, crisp day when we visited Ottawa in May 1996.

One of our key stops on our Canadian trip was a tour of Parliament Hill. We walked through those wonderful buildings and marveled at the architecture and design. We also remarked as to how open and free it was compared to our own experiences in Washington, D.C.

And of course, that was before 9/11 changed everything. 

I rather imagine that the case where you can drive right up and park next on Parliament Hill – as we did in 1996 – is no longer an option.

image

And, sadly, I would imagine yesterday’s attack will bring about necessary, but sobering, security measures.

Cpl. Nathan Cirillo, a 24-year-old reservist, was gunned down in the assault and the gunman has been identified. With a stiff upper lip, Prime Minister Stephen Harper said in remarks last evening that his nation won’t be intimidated.

Sadly, it’s a common refrain. How often have we heard those words spoken on our side of the border over the course of the last 13 years?

Rather than focus on the sad news, I am thinking today of the innocence we experienced on that day nearly 20 years ago.

  • Holly dressed as a European maiden during our visit to the Canadian Museum of History.
  • We took an organized tour of Parliament Hill covering a great deal of the building. A highlight – and something we remember vividly – is the Library of Parliament. It’s a beautiful, ornate room.
  • Paul, Holly and I posed for pictures inside and outside. I donned an Ottawa Senators jersey for the occasion.

image

I couldn’t help but remember this lovely day as the stark news unfolded yesterday; a grim reminder of our modern reality. But, for just a minute, I allowed myself a little virtual time travel.

JG

Originally posted 10/23/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...