Thursday, February 9, 2023

Stocking Up

We joke, around our house, about our competing styles when it comes to grocery shopping. You might characterize our approaches as ‘the tortoise and the hare.’

Lisa likes to take a very methodical approach. Up and down the aisles, considering her choices very carefully, looking through coupons, comparison shopping, etc.

As for me, if I have 10 items on the list, 10 items it is. And I attack the shelves in a determined fashion – quickly and without pause. I take the shortest route from Point A to Point B and then I pay for the items (usually at the ‘scan your own’) and I exit the store as quickly as possible.

This is one of the good-natured, ongoing conversations we have (kind of like the time change). Which way is better?

There is no conclusive answer. 

When it came time for the annual Thanksgiving shopping this week – the stocking up before all the recipes come together to blend those tasty treats – there was no doubt. Her way was best.  With me convalescing, and unable to help very much, it soon became clear that her shopping trip would be fully uncumbered. Long and Methodical.

Just how she likes it. 

And it’s probably a good thing, too, because she wound up with quite a cache of cans and containers. She even had time to select the perfect pie.

image

One of the things I love most about the holiday season is tradition. It manifests in a number of ways, most notably in the various casseroles, dessert treats and other holiday confections. Lisa’s family’s Cherry Pineapple Salad (which isn’t really a salad, per se) is one of my favorites.

Every family has a broccoli casserole, it seems. But I like Lisa’s family’s the best. Most. Cheesy. Crumbly. It has all the elements.

On our side of the house, my mom’s chicken casserole is legendary. And she has always done a variety of cool pies. This year, at Thanksgiving, she’ll do her Cherry O Cream Cheese Pie. For Christmas, I hope to talk her into the Lemon Icebox Pie.

Anyway, you can imagine as Lisa was criss-crossing the supermarket – buying 5 bags of broccoli, 4 cans of cherry pie filling, etc. she was happy not to have me ‘helping her along.’

JG

Originally posted 11/25/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...