Thursday, February 16, 2023

Rhythm of the Falling Rain

This morning, I awoke to a familiar, but pleasant, sound. The first sound I heard this morning was the rhythm of the falling rain.

As I say, it’s a familiar refrain this spring. We have been, indeed, having plenty of April showers in advance of May flowers. I don’t mind it so much. Because of the bevvy of moisture, our foliage has greened up quite nicely.

As long as I can find dry moments to keep the grass cut, as I far as I’m concerned, I’m fine with it.

This wasn’t the case during my baseball coaching days. Spring rains are the nemesis of a baseball coach. It’s not so much that we prefer brownish grass. We don’t. Still, without the mechanisms the pro’s have to dry fields for play, a rain shower generally means a rain out. And that’s not a good thing. 

But since I’ve retired from coaching, I’m free to enjoy the rain like the meteorologists, galosh makers and purveyors of umbrellas do.

image

From the time I was a little kid, I have found the sound of soft rains to be soothing. In fact, I can remember car rides with my folks when I was a little shaver. I’d be in the back seat of my dad’s 1966 Ford Mustang and would be lulled to sleep on a rainy day by the pitter-patter of raindrops and the sweet sounds of my parents’ voices in pleasant conversation. 

As an aside, the whirr of dishwashers and washing machines have a similar effect on me. Maybe it is something soothing about water? After all, the Garys braved the Atlantic to make their crossing from England in 1635! Three centuries later, my grandfather, Pap Gary made his living on the mighty Mississip.

Who knows how this might be ingrained in our family DNA?

I guess the phenomenon carries over to adulthood because a nice rainy day is usually a guaranteed nap day. And if we are driving on a trip, Lisa is very generous to swap out driving responsibilities to allow me to take advantage of a gray day for a nice period of sleep. 

Rain is celebrated in many songs. Think of some of the classics (in addition to the aforementioned). There’s:

• It’s Raining Again

• Have You Ever Seen the Rain

• I Wish it Would Rain Down

Good tunes inspired by today’s forecast. And there’s many more where that came from.

All this to say, it doesn’t make it any easier to roll out of bed this morning! I pushed myself out this morning and went searching for one of the collection of umbrellas that usually rides in the back of the Jeep® to keep myself dry from the car to the office. 

And when I got to my desk, I discovered a had a hole in the sole of my shoe (the right food) so my right sock was quite soggy making for a bit of early morning discomfort.

Rain’s not perfect, ya know.

JG

Originally posted 4/15/2015

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...