I was cleaning out my ‘potential blog material’ folder as I try to do every few months and I ran across a piece I had saved earlier this summer.
The title of the article, published by Business Insider: “This is the Personality Trait That Most Often Predicts Success.” I was intrigued.
I didn’t remember the details of the article; only had a vague memory of stashing this for possible further use. Honestly, it has been a busy last six months. The article was written on April 30 and according to my notes, I ran across it late May/early Junish.
Before I read on, I started imaging what ONE personality trait the author would identify for success. First, I thought this might be one of those “Here are the five things successful people do every morning” kind of things. I’m sure you’ve seen similar pieces.
“Make a to do list. Eat a hearty breakfast. Pray. Be cheerful. Greet your team.”
But, no, that wasn’t where the author was going.
Secondly, I thought: Uh-oh. Maybe this is one of those introvert/extrovert kind of things. You know the ones. “Extroverts may look good on the outside but introverts are really better.“
I am forever teasing the introverts at my house whenever tell them "You never read an article like ‘Nine ways to understand extroverts.’”
Happily, I was spared from retracing these precarious steps!
No, the focus of this article is conscientiousness. I stopped for a second and thought, “Really?” Then, I read on.
The author makes a good point. Several of them actually.
Quoting Paul Tough, from "How Children Succeed,“ Mr. Baer writes:
“Tough says that people who test high in conscientiousness get better grades in school and college, commit fewer crimes, and stay married longer.
They live longer, too, he says. "And not just because they smoke and drink less. They have fewer strokes, lower blood pressure, and a lower incidence of Alzheimer’s disease.”
Who wouldn’t want to avoid all of these life traps?!?
Reading on, he cites a National Institute of Mental Health study linking conscientiousness in males with higher salaries; he also notes a National Institute on Aging survey that equates conscientiousness with job satisfaction and higher incomes as well.
From early on, this is a practice that we parents try to foster in our kids.
- Remember to turn in your homework.
- If you finish the test early, go back and double-check your work.
- Look twice before crossing the street.
Good life lessons.
Even though we teach it, I’m not sure we all value it as much we should. We tout the value of exercise and good nutrition. We focus on the importance – as I did yesterday – of getting ample rest. We highlight sportsmanship, fair play, work ethic, stick-to-it(ness).
These are all good values. In my Coach Jeff days, I taught them all to my players. We stressed them in pre-game huddles and highlighted them at post-game celebrations

As it turns out, it seems I should have also included the following:
- Make doubly sure you tag up before advancing on a fly ball.
- When you get the sign from your coach, look again to confirm it.
- Be sure to use two hands to make the catch.
In other words: be conscientious.
Being conscientious, you see – both on and off the field – seems to be a dividend that pays off in many ways.
JG
Originally posted 10/14/2014
No comments:
Post a Comment