Thursday, February 9, 2023

Gary Top 10 Stories of 2014: Part I

It’s hard to believe, but the calendar says it’s true. Here we are again at the end of another year. It’s time for one of my favorite features of Coach Jeff’s Blog. Today, I’ll post the first half of my annual two-part ‘year in review’.

Our family has had an outstanding year; rich with opportunities to do interesting things, meet fascinating people and to make special memories. I hope your’s has been equally memorable.

Here is the first half of my recap - the Gary Top 10 Stories of 2014: Part I. Enjoy:

10. The Year in Sports Disappoints –

For a sports-minded family, any year-end retrospective must include this entry. Still, it has been such a lousy year for my/our sports teams, it isn’t possible to rank this low enough!

The year started off ‘ok’ with our college basketball teams – Tigers and Vols – making a trip to the Big Dance. But, it went downhill from there. The Braves’ season was a terrible disappointment. And then these two words: Tennessee Titans. Need I say more?

Still, in spite of all the disappointment on the fields and courts, we spent a lot of great quality time and made some great sports-related memories in 2014. 

image


9. Restless Roger Roams, Rests –

From time-to-time, I have written about the antics of Restless Roger. He’s not the sweetest cat I’ve ever been around; he is the most interesting cat I’ve known. Smart. Intense. Compelling.

And, from time to time, he will spend a comfortable evening on your lap. Still, he is more comfortable, I think, when he has something to inspect.

image

8. Holly Finishes in Cherbourg - 

It happened early in the year, but Holly wrapped her year-long assignment in Cherbourg.  She finished her teaching and posed for ‘un selfie’ with her students before returning to the states.

image


7. Paul’s Roles at MTSU: Tall Tales, Drowsy and More -

Paul had a great year at MTSU. He excelled in the classroom and with his social circle. Most notable, however, were his contributions on the stage. He had major roles this year in MTSU productions of “American Tall Tales” and “The Drowsy Chaperone.” 

image

6. Reconnecting With Friends –

Social media is a wonderful tool for a number of pursuits. It is a great way to reconnect with friends from the past. Both Lisa and I had the opportunity to do this in 2014. Just this past weekend, we were able to have breakfast with a dear friend who has been a mentor to both of us and earlier this month, I met another great friend to catch up. And, of course, I told you about my baseball outing back in the summer with our best man, Steve. 

image


The year of 2014 has provided a number of opportunities for us to reconnect with dear friends and it is certainly building to a fabulous crescendo.

Tomorrow: Numbers 5-1

JG

2013 Top Gary Stories Part One and Part Two
2012 Top Gary Stories Part One and Part Two
2011 Top Gary Stories Part One and Part Two

Originally posted 12/22/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...