Thursday, February 9, 2023

APR

Editor’s Note - I’ve written various blog posts throughout the year detailing my preparation for the Accredited in Public Relations (APR) Exam. Today, I  am writing about the final results of my studies. Here are links to the previous posts: 

http://jeffdgary.tumblr.com/post/81632394534/rpie 

http://jeffdgary.tumblr.com/post/78692105965/study-sessions-shout-outs

http://jeffdgary.tumblr.com/post/96656129386/test-prep

The large envelope came in the mail yesterday.

Roger, the cat, didn’t seem all that impressed when he sauntered by the coffee table on which the parcel was resting. But, I, personally, couldn’t wait to open it! 

I had been expecting the package for a little more than a week. You see, on Friday the 5th I took my APR exam (Accreditation in Public Relations) and after I pushed the ‘finish exam’ button, a notification popped on the screen. It read “Unofficial Result: Pass.” A few days later, I got an email from the Universal Accreditation Board with a link to a survey about the experience.

So, you see, the letter was not unexpected. Still, it felt great when I looked at the envelope and saw it was addressed to: Jeff Gary, APR.

Inside the envelope, I found a congratulatory letter along with some additional materials about accreditation. I also received this very nice certificate that commemorates this milestone in my career. 

image

The journey toward APR began for me, in earnest, back in February when I attended the first information session about the APR course of study. Every other week or so for the next few months, a number of public relations professionals attended study sessions as we worked our way through the UAB study guide.

Over the summer, I prepared for my Readiness Review Panel (which I wrote about three weeks ago, on the night before I was scheduled to take the exam) and then I studied for the exam.

On the day of the test, I went into the office for a little while to finish a project and then I came back home mid-morning. I wanted to spend one last time going through my notes and then, just after lunch, I went to the test site, checked in and settled in to take the test.

It was a challenging exam, for sure. It definitely tested my knowledge.

Then, as I finished, I took a deep breath, pushed the ‘finish exam’ button as I mentioned before and waited for the results. And, well, you know the rest.

I’m happy to report the time-honored adage is true: If you set a goal for yourself and devote time and effort to achieve the goal, the results usually pay off. And the work is very worthwhile.

That night, Lisa and I celebrated the accomplishment and we took a moment last night to also mark the occasion. I am very proud to be Accredited in Public Relations.

JG

Originally posted 9/17/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...