I’m just a neutral observer when it comes to FHS sports these days.
Four+ years removed from when I completed my board service with Farragut Baseball, Inc. (and six years since my term as president of the league concluded), I am now just an innocent by-stander. No longer a volunteer at the school; no longer have teens attending the school.
I used to be fairly plugged into the Farragut sports scene. But now, I’m just an alum (as are my kids). The Admiral Dave collection has moved to another home.

Still, I have to say I was fairly surprised when the news broke last week that Farragut football had been re-classified to 5A. From the article in the Farragut Press, it seemed like Coach Courtney was also surprised.
In the long run, I’m not sure exactly what the re-classification means. As I understand it, the classification system doesn’t affect sports where Farragut has had perennial success – such as baseball, soccer and golf and, most recently, volleyball.
FHS has had a number of successful runs in football over the years; some in recent times. And as far back as I can remember – dating to the 1970s – the Admirals have competed as one of the largest schools in the state. Until the recent reshuffling of school districts, it was the largest high school in the county.
But the local school re-districting definitely dropped the enrollment at Farragut. I remember it hovered around 2,400 when I was a senior. According to the TSSAA figures, FHS enrollment is currently 1,685 (which is the lowest total I can remember). In fact, it is no longer the largest school in the county. Bearden leads the way at 1,938 followed closely by HVA at 1,903.
I would imagine that if that enrollment sinks much further, it could have ramifications in the classroom; in terms of what Advanced Placement and Honors courses as well as unique electives that could be offered in terms of the curriculum.
I’m not really qualified to say: just an observation.
With regards to the gridiron, it will definitely mean a shift – at least in terms of the teams that show up on the annual schedule. There would be a few new match-ups and a renewal of old rivalries that we haven’t seen for years.
As for whether it matters if there is a 6 or a 5 in front of the classification, I’m not sure what the ramification might be. In any case, it will definitely mean at least a subtle difference moving forward.
JG
Originally posted 10/28/2014
No comments:
Post a Comment