In the 1994 episode of the CBS television “Northern Exposure,” (Season 6, Episode 4), one of the main characters, Maggie, discovers a letter that her teenage self wrote with the directions “Do not open until your birthday, 1991.”
Northern Exposure was one of our favorite shows (some time I will write a blog entry devoted to the show) in the early 90s and it was playing on cable (A & E Network) in the early 2000s. As the episode ends, Maggie sits down and realizes that she is pretty happy with where she is in life as the Blondie version of the song, “The Tide is High” begins to play in the background and then the camera fades to black.
No doubt, I watched that episode and thought to myself, “Hey I can do that. I can write to myself. “
I think that is just what happened. Turns out, the letter was dated ‘January 2001.’
As I told you, earlier this week, when we were doing some major cleaning and organizing in the downstairs of our house, I found ‘The Letter’ in an old school black brief case.

It was labeled:
To: Jeff Gary
Open on
May 23, 2013
That’s today.
In a moment when I was home alone, I decided to pull up a seat with my virtual self and find out what advice and counsel he/I provided 12+ years ago.
As I mentioned the letter was dated ‘January 2001.’ I started off by noting that the date intended for the opening meant I was on the brink of a big birthday. Written in the pre-9/11 era, I noticed that undoubtedly:
“The world, as you know it, is quite different as I write.”
Those words turned out to be somewhat prophetic and, yet, who knew? I had no way of knowing what was going to happen a mere eight months later (and how that would still be affecting the world we encounter today).
At the top of the second page, I noted that Lisa had just begun grad school and she was hoping to embark on a teaching career. Her career has flourished and she continues to receive accolades for her great work (and I am extremely proud of her).
Later that page, I begin to address ‘the ones’ (Holly and Paul).
“How did the kids turn out?” (I asked). I even asked if we decided to try for a third (clearly we did not!).
“Holly would be a sophomore in college now,” I continued (as an aside, journalism majors are awful with math…I’m not even close to having that date right, as she graduated earlier this month). “Paul should be 17 now (he’s 18) and learning to drive.“ (gosh, I hope he has learned to drive by now since he has been driving for two years)
On the topic of Holly, I take note of the fact that she is now eight years old and somewhat sensitive. I joked that she inherited my perfectionism (although I can admit, now, that she is much more of a perfectionist than I have ever been).
About Holly, I wrote:
“She is full of spirit and creativity and goes from meltdown to producing one of her many elaborate productions with a cast of varied stuffed animals and dolls, Barbies and Paul.”
And, I added “Ah yes…Paul…”
“Paul inherited your spirit, your love of baseball and your looks (for better or worse).” (No mention of the beard, however…and actually, Holly may be the biggest baseball fan in the household).
Later, I mentioned that: “I know you are trying to raise Holly and Paul to be leaders in their fields – to be strong of character, God-filled, strong achievers and good partners.”
All of those things are true and I am very pleased to say so!
On the subject of work, I mentioned our long-range financial goals and planning and I mentioned that I hope, career-wise, that things were working out (working on it!).
About friends, I commented about how glad I was to be back in touch with Ed. (Incidentally, Lisa helped facilitate that. He and I hadn’t talked since right after we graduated from FHS. When she was working at UT, she ran into him on campus and got his phone number. I called him and then, immediately, we were back in touch).
On the topic of church, I wrote that I was pleased we had joined Westminster Presbyterian in the 90s. “Still active there?” I asked “Or elsewhere?” (We have been members at Farragut Presbyterian since 2003).
On marriage, I wrote these words (and take note that they have never been truer than today): “And what of Lisa? Are you guys still tight? Do you chew on ideas for hours and hours in your 40s like you did in your 20s and 30s?” (Indeed we do).
Finally, as I neared the end of the letter, I wrote:
“I’m not sure how it all turns out for you, Jeff, but I have confidence in you that you will figure it out.” (Still working on that, too!).
“In the meantime, I’ll pray for you Lisa, Holly and Paul…and all of the others who will touch your life between now and then.”
Your Pal,
Jeff
JG
Originally posted 5/23/2013
No comments:
Post a Comment