The job search stuff; the graduation stuff (two graduations) and all the big birthdays in our lives (an 18, a recent 21 and he impending arrival of a biggie).
It all really feels like this summer begins a chapter change in our lives.
Or, maybe the chapter change comes at the end of the summer. Whatever the case, transitions are beginning.
On Friday, I was doing some final bookkeeping tasks for the FHS theatre boosters. When I went to drop off some paperwork at the school, Paul and his classmates were at graduation practice. As I was entering the school, a class of freshmen came running by.
Man, did they seem young?
As they were passing me, it occurred to me that the transition had occurred. Seniors were gone; juniors were now seniors and so on. This group might have even been 8th graders touring the place they’ll call home in the fall. Even though we theatre parents have been accustomed to hearing and saying the phrase, “We Are Farragut,” it’s no longer our school.

On Friday, it already felt like that was the case.
I’ve enjoyed the volunteer work we’ve done the past few years as a part of the FHS Theatre Arts Boosters but it is time for that to be done, as well. I sent my last news release last week; we finished the organizing files on Friday. Then, on Saturday, the theatre board had something akin to a passing of the baton with the handing off of files and the official banking transition.
That night, we all attended the FHS commencement and that part of the transition became official as well.
And now, one of our good friends – who has been so instrumental in the FHS theatre program over the past seven years – is leaving town. The family is moving this week. They will be missed.
Even though they’ll be just down the road, it feels like another storyline in the changing of chapters. Job changes. Graduations. Moving vans.
Change in our lives is inevitable. Sometimes, the key factor is how we adapt to change; how we manage the transitions. It used to seem like only my close friends moved on and everyone else stayed. That fact really irked me. Now, I have grown to realize that isn’t the case.
Change is going on all around us. It’s only when it profoundly affects us that we really notice.
This week, I’ve begun to really notice. I suspect this will be one of the underlying themes for us during the Summer of ’13.
JG
Originally posted 5/23/2013
No comments:
Post a Comment