We don’t like to think of certain entities as businesses but the reality is cash is the fuel for almost any engine.
- Charities
- Colleges
- Churches
Even in the baseball league, we had to watch the bottom line (even as a non profit organization).
We really don’t like to think of this factor when it comes to our healthcare. We show up for the services we want or need, hand over our insurance card and then we like to take care of the financial side later.
Today, I had my annual physical exam. It went well. My doc was very pleased with my health and I was happy with the experience. Quick. Happy. Efficient.
My first appointment of the day - dental - was anything but quick, happy or efficient.
I think I may have told you about my experiences at ‘Mega Dental Mart.’ In most healthcare encounters, you have confidence that your health and well-being is the case. Not so at Mega Dental Mart. It feels like it’s all about making the sale.
And it could be that’s not the case at all. But it feels that way.
At the first sign of any tenderness in my mouth today, the hygienist started to promote the high priced mouth rinse that isn’t covered by insurance. I told her, quickly, that we already have two bottles of the stuff - cinnamon flavor AND mint (I prefer mint). Within a few moments of the mouth rinse thread, I felt the push for the Sonicare system was about to begin.
I mentioned we already have one of those too.

Somewhere along the way, I also staved off a fluoride infusion. I’m pretty sure that’s not covered by insurance, either.
After my cleaning, the hygienist summoned the dentist and I figured he was coming in to reinforce her efforts. Not at all. He wanted to talk about 'filling replacement.’
In other words, the fillings I have had for 15 or 20 years are magically about to fail all at once.
Finally, on the way out, the receptionist mentioned that the hygienist wants me to come back in four months…just one catch. That next check-up won’t be covered by insurance (since it comes sooner than six months). So, that one would be all on me.
In other words: cha-ching.
I wish I wasn’t so cynical about the experience. I wish I felt I could trust this dental advice. But, at Mega Dental, they’re so quick to try to make the sale, you just can’t trust what is about dental care and what is about profit margin.
Last year, I felt like it was time to start looking around for other dental options; after today, I’m convinced it’s time I do that. This just isn’t a good fit.
And if I go somewhere else and get the same advice, then maybe I’ll concede that all of it was all warranted.
It’s just hard to feel that’s the case when you feel the hard sell is on.
JG
No comments:
Post a Comment