Saturday, January 28, 2023

No L-osers in This Deal

The NFL announced, yesterday, that it will be abandoning its practice of referring to Super Bowl numbers with Roman Numerals for Super Bowl 50. 

No one, it seems, has a stomach for referring to the big game – which will be played in San Francisco in February 2016 - Super Bowl L.  It seems the graphic image of an ‘L’ reminds folks of the teen practice of affixing a thumb and finger to the forehead to symbolize ‘Loser.’

No one wants to label the two teams making it to the game game as ‘Losers.’

As an aside, my friend Ed often reminds me of the time the Dallas Cowboys took the field for a playoff game against Minnesota in the early 70s. As the tv camera showed the team running out onto the field, it also picked up someone holding a sign that said “Losers.”

Indeed, the team who came up short in that game did not make it to the Super Bowl. So, I think he may be on to something.

No L-osers in the Super Bowl. Shoot, I’d just be happy to celebrate the return of the Tennessee Titans to the big game…for XLIX…L…LI or any of ‘em! 

image

On a personal note, I have always liked the use of roman numerals by the NFL.  I think its unique; it sets the game aside.

A factoid I did not know is that the current numbering system only started with Super Bowl V (which, coincidentally, is the first one I remember watching). I guess the league back-dated I, II, III and IV. 

I did NOT know this. 

The Super Bowl, itself, is special. This unique way of labeling it, I think, adds to the mystique. In addition to the use of the roman numerals, the NFL has always counted from its first Super Bowl rather than making note of the calendar year. That’s different from the other sports as well.

The only time you see letters associated with the World Series, MLB’s penultimate series, is when someone starts hanging K’s (or backward K’s) in conjunction with an excellent pitching performance. No X’s, V’s or I’s involved.

As we are now head into the finals for both of the ‘winter sports,’ it’s worth noting the numbers associated with each would be 2014. I guess, technical, the NBA calls is the 2014 Playoffs but refers to The Finals as simply The Finals. I do believe the Stanley Cup is the coolest of the four major sport trophies and, in fact, hockey refers to the championship series as the ‘Stanley Cup Final.’

 Still, the point is, only the NFL does it this way

And isn’t that really true for everything done by the NFL. No matter the topic – marketing, merchandising, the draft, the schedule – everything the NFL does, it does it right.

With regard to Super Bowl 50, will anyone notice a missing L?

JG

http://www.hlntv.com/slideshow/2014/06/04/super-bowl-50-roman-numerals?hpt=hp_bn17

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11031941/nfl-take-one-year-hiatus-roman-numerals-super-bowl-50

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000355943/article/nfl-wont-use-roman-numerals-for-super-bowl-50

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/nfl-super-bowl-50/story?id=23992947

Originally posted 6/5/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...