Last year, I started a tradition on Coach Jeff’s Blog to take to the blogosphere every year on June 4 to wish my sister a happy birthday.
For 2013’s big day, I wrote a sappy poem and really misunderestimated (ahem) how well the birthday sonnet would be received. I can’t stop now, right?
A week ago, we celebrated her birthday in a family gathering that actually commemorated four birthdays.

But this is the actual day. So, once again, on 06/04, I dedicate Coach Jeff’s Blog to my sister, Lisa, on her birthday.
A few interesting factoids about Lisa:
Foods
There are some interesting items of food and drink that we both love ranging from very old school (Chipos) to the somewhat old school but still available in a supermarket near you (Archway Lemon Cookies) to chic and upscale (Orangina).
Like me, she enjoys some good white chocolate. She also prefers the same dish as I do when I order at El Mezcal (Tacos Carne Azada…with some shredded cheese on the side).
As I say, she’s got good taste!
Childhood Memories
So often in life, our childhood memories tend to focus on who started the fight or who tattle-taled on whom. I’m taking a break from all that.
We had some really fun times growing up.
For one thing, I put my vocal abilities to the test and often voiced some of her toys in elaborate games of “Let’s Pretend.” I also set up Olympic games for some of her dolls and toys. We even had a radio station spinning some great tunes (and, yes, voiced by your’s truly as the deejay…providing vocalization for many of her Barbie dudes and even my guys Big Jim and Big Jack who’d drop in on the proceedings).
Incidentally, my deejay voice sounded a LOT like an imitation of someone doing a vintage version of the American Top 40 Countdown. My ‘deejay’ name was Pete Williams. You can hear that, can’t you.
“It’s 6:53 here on WJDG radio. I’m Pete Williams. I’ll be with you until 10 o’clock tonight. Here’s another great hit from…"
We had lots of fun.
Grown-ups
Now that we’re grown, it has been fun to watch my little sister grow up, too, serving as a professional staffer at Roane State’s Center for Health Sciences. Also, she is a devoted wife, loving mother, and consistent cat lover.
As if those accolades aren’t enough, she’s very talented. In fact, she writes a tumblr blog herself.
U2 follower; fan of Batman (the 60s version) and all around good girl.
So, here’s to her…a Happy Birthday toast from brother to sister. Happy Birthday Lisa! Hope you have a special day!
JG
Originally posted 6/4/2014
No comments:
Post a Comment