Over the course of the last month, I’ve been hitting the job search pretty hard. And in between sending out numerous applications, networking with some helpful people, and going on job interviews, I’ve also been taking care of some personal bidness as well.
We’ve been in this house for 10 years, so you can imagine things have accumulated. I have made it a priority to set aside a little time each week to go through boxes, storage tubs, closets and shelving. Already, you wouldn’t believe how many papers we have recycled. Last week, our roller bin was full and then some. Two weeks from now, we’ll send out another full bin.
In our effort to clean out each room and downsize all the stuff we have, I’ll give us an A+. We’re making progress!
It doesn’t hurt that all four of us have been around – many hands to handle the recyclables!
The boxes we went through include college papers (from both undergrad and grad school), miscellaneous household forms, receipts and documentation and work samples. I decided to keep three copies of each and recycle the rest.
We’ve also found a number of old magazines which we have shipped off to a publications vendor for possible sale. We plan to list some other vintage publications as well as some other items for sale on eBay.

Meanwhile, in addition to literally getting our house in order, I’ve also set aside some time to get exercise (three or four trips to the gym each week) and take care of some doctor’s appointments I had been putting off.
My goal has been to be super-productive during this downtime and I have succeeded. I feel good about that.
As for the job hunt itself, I have retooled my resume, met with a career counselor and reached out to many friends and colleagues who have been helpful and supportive. I want to send my ‘thanks’ to each and every one.
People continue to ask how the search is going and I tell them it is going well. I have had a number of leads – some warmer than others.
In the meantime, if you hear of any openings – if your company or organization is looking for a P.R. professional or if you know of one who is looking to fill such a position – I’d appreciate the tip. I’m also open to any and all suggestions.
Meanwhile, we continue to go room by room, shelf by shelf, box by box and we’ll continue to do so. Our focus this week has been the basement; next week we’ll probably turn our attention to the guest room.
If it is true that my trips to the Y and time on the treadmill this summer help me to keep my body in good shape maybe it could also be said that our recycling efforts will help us to get the house in good shape as well.
One box at a time.
JG
No comments:
Post a Comment