Sunday, January 22, 2023

Happy July 4th Everybody!

I want to take this opportunity to wish everyone a safe, healthy and Happy 4th of July! Whatever your plans entail on this Independence Day, I hope you have a good one.

What a difference a year makes, right? Last year, we opted out of attending the Town of Farragut July 4th parade because of the oppressive heat. This year, we almost didn’t go because of the rain. Then, a last minute check of the radar showed a pie-shaped wedge of dry air that looked like it might get to the TOF just at the right time.

So, we loaded up the car and headed out.

Still, the weather looked somewhat threatening - with dark skies and ominous clouds. I was going to write something about how the weather could turn at any moment and might not be fit for man nor beast and just then, the ginormous Mayfield Cow went rolling by and I thought better of my chosen verbiage.

image

It is a different July 4th for us in other ways. A year ago, Holly was in France and she told us later about how she attended a “Non July 4th July 4th Party.” In other words, no burgers and dogs! I think she enjoyed the hospitality, but with no potato salad, no chips, no watermelon, etc. It just felt different.

I started out my July 4th last year with telephone interview. I was up and on the phone at 6 a.m. to interview a construction manager about some of his experiences. He was about to hop a plane from Morocco to go to Alaska within the hour. Previously, he had been working in Afghanistan. In other words - some fairly unique destinations.

In any case, I had a short window to do my phone interview and that was it.

So, all in all, with Holly home and more temperate weather - even with the rain - I’m glad it is July 4, 2013 rather than July 4, 2012.

Last Sunday, I was reflecting on the significance of Independence Day and our nation’s 237th birthday. One of our church members at FPC led the time with children and did a nice job of teaching a little patriotism and civics to the kids (and to the congregation). Just then, I looked down at my patriotic/baseball tie and felt a surge of pride.

image

We live in a great country and we are very blessed to do so. No matter what your July 4th activities might be, I hope you take a moment to join me in thinking about our blessings and this great nation of ours. 

In the meantime, Happy July 4th Everybody!

JG 

(Source: timeanddate.com)

Originally posted 7/4/2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...