Thursday, January 26, 2023

Fight the Good Fight

At our church on Sunday morning, we sang good ol’ #307 from the Presbyterian Hymnal: “Fight the Good Fight.”

I have had the tune and the lyrics stuck in my head on and off since then.

I had forgotten that hymn is featured in one of the key scenes in the 1980s movie “Chariots of Fire,” which has always been one of my favorites. The second stanza talks about running the straight race. Of course, the movie is about running but, more importantly, it uses running as a metaphor for facing many struggles in life. And, indeed, one of the two central characters in the film is a Scottish minister.

As I considered the lyrics from ol’ #307, I found that, more and more, they are applicable.

For example, I am serving on our church’s Pastor Nominating Committee. Each member of the committee at FPC takes a turn in leading our group in prayer at the beginning of each meeting. What we do takes the form of a devotional message.

image

As I think about the work we are doing, as a committee, I think the message in “Fight the Good Fight” is appropriate. In fact, when I lead next week’s devotional, I think I will somehow weave that message into what I tell our group. We just need to make sure we continue to run the straight race as our work continues.

Then, I took a step back from the hymn and I realized that many people I know in my personal life are “Fighting the Good Fight” each and every day. I add many of them to my morning prayers.

For example, I know many people who are searching for work. These are good people. They are hard-workers. Good professionals. Life has thrown them a curve ball. Yet, they continue to move forward.

Others are fighting personal demons, difficult situations at home, break-ups with friends or health crises. They all continue to fight. Some have fought through difficult surgeries and recoveries. Others face financial challenges but they do so with strength and courage.

I know some, however, who have given up the fight.

These folks are on my mind tonight as well. Their unfortunate approach is NOT to push forward. They’d rather have someone ride in on the white horse and solve all their problems the easy way.

I worry in, that in these situations, folks who aren’t willing to stand on their own two feet – who aren’t willing to learn how to fight the good fight – will be left behind in a difficult and ever-changing world.

Still, I pray for them, too. Just as hard.

We Presbyterians are fairly reticent about expressing our Faith. In fact, we kind of poke fun at ourselves about this fact.

In many ways, tonight’s blog is about as preachy as you’ll ever hear from me. Coach Jeff’s Blog isn’t a religious one. Indeed I try to steer clear of anything too controversial.

Still, these thoughts have been on my heart and in my mind since I opened the hymnal late in Sunday’s service. And as we move forward, I want all those who are struggling – all those who are facing difficulties – to know that I am thinking of them. My message is love for these dear ones.

And, I am encouraging each and every one as they continue their own fight; as they continue to run their race.

JG

Originally posted 1/28/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...