Sunday, January 22, 2023

Duck and Cover

I’ve never been able to grow a beard so I admire guys who have that ability. A nice, well-groomed, close-trimmed bit of facial hair can serve as a very nice feature.

Paul is often asked to grow a beard when he is a cast-member in a particular show. That’s a fine thing. He does it quite well and, as a high school senior last year, he was known for his beard.

He always kept it very trim.

Recently, however, I’ve noticed a bunch of guys running around long, wild ZZ Top-like growths. I have come to understand that, in many cases, it is because of a show of a different sort. These guys aren’t sporting beards because they are cast-members in a show; they’re growing them to show their devotion TO a show.

These are Duck Dynasty Dudes.

First, let me say, it’s fine to enjoy some entertainment (though, I’ve never gotten the appeal of ‘reality tv’ at all, myself). But, I’ve never really understood the utter devotion to a ‘must see tv’ that dictates you design your look to mimic a character. You’ve probably met people who are so stuck on programs that they constantly quote its catchphrases:

  • I See Nothing, NOTHING
  • What-choo talkin’ ‘bout?
  • D’oh!
  • Bazinga

Doesn’t it annoy you when it becomes THEIR catchphrase, too?

These unkempt beards strike me to be somewhat of a catchphrase.

When we were on vacation last summer, one of these devotees was staying at the same hotel as we were. He definitely had the ZZ Top look - plus cammo pants and a printed t-shirt.

The other day, when I was in a large discount store – the one that has Low prices. Every day – I came upon a show-inspired display.

image

It was very well stocked. The collection featured numerous types of memorabilia from caps to shirts. It even including a door mat to welcome all your friends who came over to watch the show with you.

I guess.

image

I was checking out the kiosk when one of the show’s fans came by and noticed me perusing the items. He was just itching to strike up a conversation about his favorite show.  He had met two of the characters. Nice guys, he said.

And I don’t doubt it. The show really does seem to feature a nice camaraderie among the characters and sports some strong family values. I don’t watch the program but I don’t really object to it.

I bristle at the ubiquitous raggedy fuzz. It’s the guys who feel they need it in order to get the full enjoyment of the show. He was one of ‘em, too. I just don’t get that.

And I notice in watching baseball’s postseason that there are a bunch of those guys who are sporting the unkempt look. Maybe they’re all hunters at heart?

I realize this is a fad and fads come and go.  

But if I could put in a request, maybe the next ‘look’ might be a little more…shall we say…smooth?  

JG

Originally posted 10/8/2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...