Having successfully wrapped up the four-show run of “Pirates of Penzance” at FHS last weekend, the young thespians from the Admirals Performing Arts Company (APAC) now turn their attention to district forensics competition this upcoming weekend.
The APAC actors competed in a tournament last month in Gatlinburg to help them get ready for this particular competition. And if they are successful this weekend, many of them could qualify for state competition which is next month.
Friday competition held today at Pellissippi State Community College consisted of interp theatre performances and one act plays. Farragut entries included:Fingerpainting in a Murphy Bed and two student-directed interp pieces, Calvin and Hobbes and I am Number Four.
Then, on Saturday, the scene shifts to FHS for individual competition where the Admiral actors hope they might be able to add a few more trophies to the trophy case outside the Wells Auditorium.

I am particularly pleased that our students will get to be at their home school on Saturday. Looking at the seniors, for example, it gives them one additional opportunity to perform at their school and looking at the calendar, those dates are dwindling. For the underclassmen, it gives them a chance to learn more about perfecting their craft in friendly surroundings.
No doubt, they will be performing in classrooms where they have studied English, math or business, for example. I was thinking about that when I sat in the classroom at Collierville High School last spring at states.
For the parent volunteers, Districts provide us another chance to support the efforts of these talented performers that we have followed so closely over the past four years. They will compete in the same categories I mentioned to you when I wrote, Rivals Under the Same Flag, last month (a preview of the Gatlinburg trip).
This also gives us a chance to greet students, teachers and family members from places like Soddy-Daisy, Jefferson County and Maryville (among others) and show them a little Farragut hospitality.
JG
No comments:
Post a Comment