Thursday, January 19, 2023

#Becareful

The minute I hit the send button, these words became permanent.  Once I hit publish, I can’t take it back.

Blogs. Tweets. Emails. It doesn’t matter. Permanent.

You can delete an email. You can edit your Facebook status. You can send a qualifying tweet - an explanation of the previous 140 characters, if you will.

Still, nothing is erased. It’s all part of the permanent record.

Maybe that gives you some insight into one of the many reasons I try to keep the Coach Jeff Blog above the fray!

I’ve been reading, with some enjoyment, the tweets of many of my former Choppers players who seem to have discovered the Twitter universe this year. It seemed a lot of it happened during last Christmas break. And just as the April showers bring May flowers, the spring season has brought forth a blossom of Chopper tweets.

Just think…the same guys who used to sing “Hey battah, Hey battah…" now tweet their thoughts. Most of it is just witty banter. And that’s great. This sort of banter fits the personality of many of the former Choppers I follow.

My only bit of coaching advice to them (if they are reading) would be: “Keep it clean.” Or put another way, #becareful

image

In fact, one of my former players (who now lives out of state) has been known to get rather colorful in his Facebook posts. Once, I was so offended by it that I responded with an “Ahem…Coach is still watching.”

Within minutes, he responded “Sorry Coach…won’t happen again…”

Hmm…I’m no longer advising them about pitching mechanics or perfect fielding position…but maybe they still listen? 

Of course, my coaching efforts might get lost in a sea of questionable material posted by a plethora of athletes and celebs daily. Celebs tweet their political rants - usually leaning in one direction (but not always). Athletes complain about playing time, coaching decisions or (ack) their contract status.

Of course, they have money – and teams of paid staff – to clean up any controversy they might stir up.

Speaking of advice, I wish I had been able to coach the sorority president who got in all sorts of hot water and has been in the news this week. Her f-bomb, profanity laced, email meant to scold her sisters went viral this week. It got so much attention, I had to take a peek at what she sent. Of course, I was so embarrassed after just a few sentences, I stopped reading.

No need to go on. I got the message.

And so did her fellow students. And so did thousands of people who read the post once it went viral. How long do you think it will take her to live that down? It’s now an “online tattoo,” as I saw it written (and appropriately so).

It’s worth nothing that, unlike the celebrities I mentioned, she doesn’t have a P.R. team on retainer to clean up that mess.

My point to all of this – to myself, to my family, to my friends, to my former Chopper players – is be careful what you put online. 

If you are complaining about your job or your boss on Facebook, he/she is liable to see the post. If you are emailing gossip or complaints about a co-worker, please realize that someone could print – or forward – that email and betray your confidence. If are texting about a delicate matter, just realize those texts can be forwarded as well.

It may seem old school, but if you have something sensitive to say, the safest advice may be to pick up the phone and give the person a call.

Or better yet, do it face to face.

JG

Originally posted 4/25/2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...