Thursday, January 26, 2023

Babies and Cats

After Monday’s blog, I got a nice note back from Holly about yesterday’s edition of Coach Jeff (The Heart of Big Orange Country). She even shared the post online.

Later, she told me she especially likes editions of the blog featuring babies and cats.

OK, Holly, by special request: “Dis one is you’s!”

image

When most babies begin to speak, they opt for the traditional ‘Da-da’ (thank you Paul) or ‘Ma-ma.’ Not little Holly Gary. Even at a very young age, she knew the name of that furry creature and she labeled him appropriately: “Cah!”

As a baby, Holly’s first word was “cat.”

Over the years, she interacted with the cats of that era. If Maddie, the momma cat, got out of line, little Holly would scold her, stating emphatically “No, No, Manny!” And, she would wave her hand frantically to emphasize the point.

Growing up, Holly always had an assortment of furry friends (stuffed animals). I remember one of her favorites was “Big Cat John.” He is a big fluffy stuffed white cat.

Once, our real white cat was out on the back porch and he growled and hissed when he saw his stuffed doppleganger looking out the window. Holly took great delight in that scene.

She also loved to ask us questions about my all-time favorite cat, Dave (Maddie’s…uh…gosh, what do you call it? They’re not exactly married…). Anyway, when we were newlyweds, we had Dave and we had Maddie (think ‘Moonlighting’). Anyway, I think Dave is my all-time favorite cat – smart, gentle, polite and reasonably clean. 

I tell her all the Dave stories I can remember.

Fast forwarding to current times, Holly has been very close with our current big orange cat. As you know from many postings, Roger is quite a character. Holly and Raj are best friends.

image

In her absence, Roger has taken up with the older humans in the house. On occasion, he even acts like he likes us.

Still, I get the idea he will be very happy when HIS human returns in late May. 

And you know what, I have a feeling the feeling will most definitely be mutual.

JG

Originally posted 4/8/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...