When then-Governor Ronald Reagan began his closing remarks in the final Presidential debate in 1980, he asked the simple, but profound, question: Are you better off than you were four years ago?
That was the final selling point for him in a successful election campaign.
The question is universal. And it can be modified for any potential use you can imagine. Buying a new car; selling an old house. A break-up from a relationship that was just going no where.
And today, I can surely ask that question and answer it: “Am I better off than I was one year ago?”
We Need to Talk
I alluded to the change in my life that happened a year ago in a couple editions of Coach Jeff’s Blog. A stint with a previous employer ended one year ago today. The conversation, that afternoon, started off with the words “We need to talk…”
Conversations that begin with “We need to talk…” don’t usually end well.
And so it was with that meeting. Lack of funding. Downsizing. Restructuring. You can take it from there.
But, I can honestly say the outcome of that chat actually turned out to be very positive.
I was offered a contract position that I enjoyed for six months. And the change of my daily status also allowed me to do a comprehensive job search that led me to the place I am today. I love my job. I love my team. Great work. Great boss. Great place.
All very good stuff. And it all started with “We need to talk…”
Ancillary Benefits
There were other positive outcomes to the changes that began a year ago today. Paul was a senior in high school at the time. I was able to see him through those final weeks and help him a few months later as he settled in at his university of choice.
Holly was also home last summer and preparing to go to France for the year. We were able to spend some special time together. We went on a few adventures together. We did some cool things.


I think God blessed me with the flexibility to do those things at a key moment while, at the same time, I went about doing a job search the right way.
And all the results were good ones…all around.
Change for the Better
So, the message in this edition of Coach Jeff - like President Reagan’s - is simple but complex at the same time. Change can be scary – especially if it isn’t something we choose. However, the results, in the end, can be very positive. Often, we wind up in a different place; a much better place.
So if change has been thrust upon you, embrace the opportunity. Or if you are scared to take that step on your own, go for it. I think you’ll be pleased you did.
As for me, am I better off than I was a year ago? You betcha.
JG
Originally posted 4/22/2014
No comments:
Post a Comment