Monday, August 9, 2021

Opening up

Tonight was this semester’s Open House at Farragut High School. You know the drill – you follow your student’s class schedule from blocks 1-4 and meet their teachers.

There are also parent/class meetings.

It’s a very informative event. I especially appreciate the teachers, guidance counselors and administrators staying late to provide such important information.

image

Alas, in a semester of ‘lasts’ this will be the last time we follow the schedule, crisscross the school from orange wing to red to yellow and see all the familiar faces we have grown accustomed to seeing over the last decade – parents of former classmates of Paul and Holly’s, parents of former Chopper players (or other individuals I knew from the baseball league), fellow church-goers at FPC or other folks I’ve met through some other means.

Frequently, I will see some of Holly and Paul’s former teachers. They’re always very friendly. I’m happy for them that they have a snow day tomorrow. They’re all so dedicated. They deserve the break.

As for tonight, some of the important topics we covered include:

·       Senior info (including graduation, deadlines, prom, etc.)

·       Course info (what the students are doing in each of your students’ four classes)

·       School info (focusing on…well…school stuff)

As is always the case, it was a productive and informative evening. And on a personal note, it’s always special for me to get to go back inside and retrace my steps from many years ago.

From the first day I set foot inside that school as a freshman, I have thought it was especially easy to navigate (partially because of the layout but, moreso, because of the color coded wings).

I graduated from Farragut High School, once, myself. I’ve told people I am getting ready to ‘graduate’ for a second time.

JG

(Source: farraguths.knoxschools.org)

Originally posted 1/24/2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...