Remember I wrote about ‘transitions’ back in the fall – when we moved from autumn into the holiday season? Well, it has happened again…under our very noses.
Last night when I walked into our local Kroger store I was greeted by a huge display…for Valentine’s Day.

Say what?
On my calendar, Valentine’s Day is still six weeks away. Six weeks from today. Forty-two days away.
I don’t know anyone – do you – who is motivated to do their “Valentine’s Day Shopping’ six weeks ahead of time? No where have I found a marquee or display ad warning me that there are just ’42 shopping days’ left. It’s not like we’re all worried there is going to be a run on greeting cards or heart-shaped confections this year.
Really, I don’t get it.
Maybe it’s just marketing. If you display it, they will shop. The longer it’s on the shelves, the more you will sell.
Or maybe it’s simply a function of taking up space. “We sold all the bows, wreaths and wrapping paper. We needed something to fill the void.”
Possibly, grocers think they might inspire guys NOT to procrastinate this year (I hate to tell you…there will still be the rush of male shoppers looming over the Valentine Cards on the evening of February 13).
This practice doesn’t relate just to Valentine’s merchandise. Just wait. On February 15, you’ll be able to find the cache of Easter baskets. When they’re gone in early April, it’ll time to purchase summer items – sand pails and backyard barbeque items.
After that, the Halloween items will be out. And…well…you get the idea.
As for now, I am happy to report that, guys, you have your choice of chocolate. Shop now while supplies last. Sweets for the sweet.
Why wait?
JG
Originally posted 1/3/2013
No comments:
Post a Comment