Monday, August 9, 2021

The Ride

I like metaphors. You know that by now.

When I think of the start of a new year – and when I think of a complete year in general – I sometimes think of it in terms of a 365 day roller coaster. I don’t think of it as the kind of roller coaster that plunges you into darkness – like Space Mountain® at Walt Disney World.

image

I think of it as being more like one of those tall, looping structures filled with lots of hills and thrills.

You ride it all the way around from the start of the year to finish. There are surprises throughout the year. There is exhilaration. There are curves.

And, as we just experienced, there is the big finish where we all get to throw our hands in the air for a few days and shout “Wheeeeeeeeeeee!” Next, the ride slows down and pauses for just a second. Then, you get back on and start all over anew.

Today, for most of us, the ride has started again.

For us, this particular ride will be filled with thrills of a one-time nature. In the spring, our family will experience dual graduations just days apart from each other as one college senior and one high school senior  plan to take the next step in their young lives. Before we get there, of course, there will be many breathtaking moments along the way.

Your ride will have its own twists and turns.

Each year provides its own set of surprises. Who knew what a fiscal cliff was before the last few weeks? And in 2012, my family learned more about ‘big brown bats’ than we could have possibly imagined.

Who will be the big brown bats of 2013?

On this, the second day of the new year, I wished Happy Birthday to one of my high school friends. Here’s hoping his ride got off to a happy start with lots of celebration.

I also heard the sad news this morning that the father of one of the neighborhood kids I grew up with has passed away. For that family, 2013 begins with prayer for comfort and sadness for the loss of a very nice man.

Each year begins differently.

For our family and for those of you reading Coach Jeff, I especially wish us all a safe, smooth and exciting ride over the course of the next 12 months.

JG

Originally posted 1/2/2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...