Monday, August 9, 2021

It’s a Virtue

I have a bad habit of picking ‘the wrong line.’ Does that ever happen to you?

And if I am in a hurry, it’s almost a guarantee: The shorter the line, the longer the wait.

Such was the case on Saturday.

I was off to the FHS Theatre workday. I stopped in to Kroger to buy a flat of bottled water. I sized up crowd and I got in the shortest queue.

Once in line I noticed there was an older fellow up front - with a younger gentleman (father and son? Uncle and nephew?). Then, I noticed the older guy wanted to pay for his food in two separate orders. No biggie. A few more minutes and out.

Until he didn’t agree with the price.

“$11.98???,” he said. “How does this cost $11.98???”

“It’s $5.99 per pound, “ the cashier politely responded. “Two pounds. $11.98.”

Easy enough. Right? I mean, we’re in Farragut, TN. It’s not like we are in on some crowded street corner in New York City where things can get testy.

 image

All was moving along, until he asked to inspect his receipt and dispute the charges. And at that moment, it didn’t matter if I was near Times Square or Farragut Towne Square. The minutes were ticking away.

Fortunately, another cashier saw what was going as the queue continued to grow. He opened up next door. I paid for the water and was on my way.

For me…patience is not necessarily a version. It should be. But, realistically, that it is is a work in progress.

During past job interviews, I have been asked many of the predictable questions. One that you can always count on is “What is your greatest strength? What is your greatest weakness?”

Recently, I was talking with my sister about how you can use some of these predictable interview questions as a chance to highlight your skills and experience.

When I have encountered the ‘weakness’ question, I have used it as a chance to show examples of self-awareness and growth.  To that question, I have frequently said “I am impatient.” Or better phrased, “I possess a lack of patience.” I’ll often couch it in terms of working within a team and waiting on someone else for key information in order to achieve a task.

I’ll usually finish up by saying that I understand other staff members have deadlines and competing priorities and I tie a bow on the answer by saying “By working on this lack of patience, it gives me insight into what other staff members deal with in their daily jobs.”

And that’s all legit, real-world stuff.

Actually, a lack of patience runs in the family.  It affects my dad at times. And his dad, my grandfather. Well, let’s just say there are some classic family stories about his lack of patience.

I wonder if this goes all the way back to the Old Country. I wonder if, when ol’ Arthur crossed the Atlantic with his wife Frances and sons William in 1635 if he had an antsy streak, too.

“I say, Governor. Can’t you make this vessel move any faster?” Can’t you see it now. Pilgrim Gary wanting to speed up the voyage to Plymouth England to Roxbury, Mass?

Itchy like the rest of us. Maybe, after all, its in our DNA.

In any case, please understand, as for this generation, the need is duly noted. I am working on it. If, some years down the road, I have an interview, I have the answer to the question ready to go.

And in the meantime, I just have to re-train myself. If I want to get through the store faster, “ALWAYS remember to get in the LONGEST line.”

JG

Originally posted 2/5/2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...